Storing your Electric Motor for the winter

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I sent an e-mail to MinnKota motors asking them if it was OK to store your electric trolling motor in the garage where it would freeze. I saw a post about winterizing your boat and they recommended bringing it in the house because freezing would ruin the magnet. That didn’t sound right to me so I figured I would ask MinnKota. Here is there reply:

You can store it in the cold if you wish. I would recommend, though, before winter comes, to turn the motor upside down to allow any water inside the lower motor unit to run out before it freezes. Water is not supposed to get inside, but if you have a leaky seal it can get in and when it freezes it can damage the magnets.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I personally store mine in the basement over winter. Even though it would probably be “okay” in the cold temps, extreme temperatures are hard on anything and I figure why chance it. Maybe it’ll prevent any trouble or give me a few extra seasons of use, or maybe it’ll just give me peace of mind. Either way, she’s tucked safely away until Spring.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I have a “quick release” on mine, so I’ve always brought it inside, I also figured the places I’ve stored my boat in the past weren’t always the most secure, and being a attachment like it is, it could dissapear, doubtful, but still it doesn’t take up much room anyways, probably fits under the bed too.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Makes sense! Heck I would bring my whole boat in the living room for the winter…if I could get away with it!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Makes sense! Heck I would bring my whole boat in the living room for the winter…if I could get away with it!

Good idea, but where would you go if you wanted to get away from things? My boat gets used all year for this!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.