Boat Financing

• duckilr
    Mississippi River

I am looking to purchase a new (for me used) bass boat either soon but most likely in the spring. I was just curious what you all are finding for financing as far as rates/terms/etc. I checked the local banks and I think they want about 7.5% interest which seems a little high to me. Anyone know where to look to find better rates, or where are some of you guys Banking? I’d like to pay my payments by all my winnings, but I am not going to quit my day job just yet. Thanks guys,

jhalfen

I belong to a local credit union (RCU) that does boat loans at the same rates as auto loans. When I boat a new Lund 4 years ago I got a 5.5% rate, now their auto loan rates are in the 5-6% range. You can check them on the web at the link below:

Royal credit union

bow1
    Maynard, Iowa

A good friend of mine has a Charger bass boat that he wants sell. Nice boat, could be bought for $5000.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I AM A LOAN OFFICER AT A CREDIT UNION. WE FINANCE BOATS ALL OF THE TIME. RATES ARE MUCH BETTER HERE THEN AT A BANK. IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT SOMETHING NEW WE ARE AT 5.25% AND WE CAN GO OUT TO 96 MONTHS/8YEARS- YOU CAN PM ME IF YOU WANT MORE INFO.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

…actually the boat would probably be used since you can’t hardly touch a bass boat for under 25. I am just not looking to spend that much money at this time.

Bob Bowman
    MN

OK USED BOATS ARE 6.00% AND WE CAN GO OUT 60MONTHS/5 YEARS

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

We did a combo boat loan, 2nd mortgage. That way we are able to deduct our interest on our taxes. Other wise would a home equity line of credit be possible?

Bob Bowman
    MN

WITH RATES ON THE RISE I WOULD NOT GO WITH A HOME EQUITY LINE OR A RATE THAT IS NOT FIXED. THE LOAN THAT YOU DID TO DEDUCT THE INTEREST AT THE END OF THE YEAR, I DO ALSO WE CALL THEM A RPM- REGULAR BOAT LOAN PLUS MORTGAGE- THE MORTGAGE IS ONLY FOR THE INTREST DEDUCT- A FIXED RATE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO. MY 2 CENTS-

PatNagle

Hey Duck Killer,
    I have involved with the marine industry in some form or another for 10 years. A rule of thumb on financing is as follows: The dealerships can give you longer terms(as many as 14+ years) at a slightly higher rate, like maybe .5% higher. I have noticed the best rates coming from the Credit Unions and Banks at term lengths of about 6 years on average.
    In general you will get longer terms and better rates on new boats. You give up a point or two when you buy used and probably will be limited to 6-8 year term loans. There are times at the dealership level that they become untouchable, I know Crystal Pierz marine often comes up with incredible financing terms in the winter time.
    That being said I wish you luck, By the way i have a 2002 Ranger 518vx with a 2002 Yamaha 200 HPDI for sale and it is under $25,000. Give me a shout if you are interested. I have pictures.

elonm
    Minnesota

I second (third?) the vote for credit unions. I just bought a new boat in July and got 3.9% fixed for 60 months. Also, my credit union does not differentiate between new or used. Same rate for either.

The advice about a Home Equity loan is sound as well. You can still get some pretty good rates on 80% loan to value fixed rate HE loans (6% or so).

Good luck!

Elonm

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Let’s take a different approach to this. I’m sure this will be quickly shoved aside as the average (95% of the population average) consumer is programmed to think they deserve “the good life”, and it’s painted in many pictures.

Let me to encourage you to seek out what you need, rather than cater to an immediate want. The financially elite will tell you every day of the week that if your investment isn’t making you money, it’s no longer an asset, but a liability.

Let’s think about this……..

We look at what we can “afford” in a payment and yet we won’t save up enough money to do it. Why? Cuz CREDIT is the #1 marketed consumer product in the nation!

I’d suggest looking into what you need and can pay cash for. How much interest are you going to pay on a 14 year lien? YIKES!!! Even the interest on 60 mos. is enough to warrant investigating the actual cost of ownership. Consumer reports state that warranties are seldom worth their price. It’s a risk but nonetheless, those prepared don’t see it as a threat because their life isn’t based on a pre-claimed monthly distribution of their paycheck. The borrower is ALWAYS a slave to the lender.

Weigh tax credits against interest charges. Are you really coming out on top? Then compare to deducting a cash purchase…… and start making payments to yourself. For the same money you’d put aside vs. pad someone else’s pockets, you’d not only get the item you wanted but you’d have money left over to use for…….. whatever!

Enough of my soap box……. but this is what I’d encourage ANYONE to do. Stay away from debt at all costs. You’ll truly be a happier person for it.

bow1
    Maynard, Iowa

1987 Charger Bass Boat. 150 Johnson Motor, Evenrude 24 Volt Trolling motor, 2 depth finders, Charger trailer, cover, spare tire, Excellent shape. Blue – metal flake. Used very little. Very nice boat for $5500
    late

Jake Munger

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I agree with you 100% Kid, I have been up grading my boat a piece or two at a time as I can afford it.
    I may not have the newest, bigest or fastest, but it is bought and paid for and is all mine

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Kid and Steve,
    I already “Own” my truck and my duck/fishing boat, but lets be serious about this one. How many people can afford to pay 25,000$ cash. Yeah, I have a sizable savings account but it certainly isn’t 25k. You’re right about interest, but it’s “affordable” to make decent monthly payments, without losing out on the opportunity to buy a better boat. As for the others, thanks for the advice, I’ll probably end up taking the credit union approach.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Kid,
    a very wise man once told me that if you can’t afford to pay off a vehicle/boat in 3 years, well you can’t afford it.
    I agree with you.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Hey dude, don’t let me ruffle your feathers….. it’s your money. I just know that the boat you want for $25k today is only gonna be worth 65% of that in 3 years and you’re going to pay more than $25k, even if you put $24k down. You’re speaking in terms of affordability. I’m speaking in terms of value. A little delayed gratification will save you THOUSANDS…….. and where else are you going to get an opportunity like that? Plus the added expense of 3 years worth of operation on top of it all. When you say opportunity, understand……… you have more than one sitting before you and I couldn’t give a hoot about which one you choose. I just thought I’d throw it out there in case you hadn’t considered such an angle.

The American “doin’ pretty good” is strongly disguised by the illusion of credit…….. and for the last 3 years running, we as a nation have experienced more bankruptcies than collage graduations. There’s no such thing as job security, only financial security. So again, this isn’t personal for me……. I’m just aware of very real problem in the country that very few discuss…. and in a caring interest for my fellow man, I shared a different angle. Good luck in your hunt and may you never look back.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Kid,
    I wouldn’t say you ruffled my feathers. I agree with you, there is absolutely no better way then to pay up front. I guess if I were to take that angle, I’d be waiting a few more years to buy a boat is all, but like you say it’d be all mine. I have a long fall/winter to think about it I guess, but I wanted to be thinking about what my options were. Thanks again to all with good advise.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

PNagle, I sent you a pm

bow1
    Maynard, Iowa

duckilr,
    Just wondering if you were at all interested in that Charger boat. I’m not a bass fisherman but its a nice rig, no scratches or anything. Runs like a top. Top speeds are around 60-65 mph which is plenty in my book. Send me a note. Thanks

Jake

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Bowen1, I sent you a PM

bow1
    Maynard, Iowa

Duckilr

You got a message. Thanks for the interest. I know you can’t go wrong with this. He’s an honest guy, straight forward. Jake

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.