Presidential Election.

• raysresort
    Sauk City, WI

Quote:

I have a peach of an idea………….

This is a good thread…….

But instead of: “I hate Bush”………..

Can we inturn get: “Why I like Kerry”………..

There appears to be more “Bush hate” than “Kerry love” on the democratic side…………

I’m still trying to figure out why people should vote for Kerry. Is it because we should remove Bush or is it because Kerry will make a better president? How will Kerry make a better president???

I’m not fond of Kerry either. Doesn’t automatically make me a Bush lover tho like some people. Neither of them are worth squat as far as I’m concerned.

As for propoganda, how about the attacks on Kerry’s military record?

Oh wait…nevermind. There are no Bush ties to that either. lol

Here’s a newsflash for ya. This is a Presidential election. There is propoganda up the ying yang from BOTH SIDES!

If you think Bush is innocent of this, you are really naive.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Bud, the attacks on military records came about first by the democrats on Bush’s record while he was in the guard.

Then Kerry started spouting about his heroism and then he was challenged……..

Kerry wants Bush to drop the add………
    Bush wants the “crazys” to drop the non-campaign adds on both sides………Kerry doesn’t seem to want that……..

My whole problem with this whole deal is that it is an election to either keep Bush in office by those who support him. And the flip side of the coin to those who want to oust him, irrelavant of who gets in office……..as long as he is out………

That, in itself bothers me very much. In all the elections prior to this it was candidate against candidate…….Who was the better man……..

Now it is either keep Bush in or get him out…..with no regards to the cost of the American people of whom might take his place………

I’m not a big Bush fan either, but I feel that since Kerry won’t publicly speak out to what he is actually going to do……I don’t see why to vote for him……

Here is what I see…….
    With Bush, you know where he stands. You know what his agenda is and what his Administration is going to do in the next 4 years. Like it or not, you have the gist of it……..

With Kerry;
    All I’ve heard is 10 million more jobs, a “plan” to better the environment, and a “plan” to create world peace……..Dude, he sounds like he is competing at a beauty pagent……..”I want to rid the world of hungrer and hatred.”

As the Mayor of gumption county would say:
    “Uh, we don’t know that.”
    Or
    “That is “B” as in “B” and “S” as in “S”.

raysresort
    Sauk City, WI

So let’s settle for bad because the other MIGHT be worse?

Maybe he will be, I don’t know. My thing is they both suck and I’m very disappointed that those 2 are the best this country could produce. We are truly in very deep trouble.

I’d take Billy in a heartbeat at this point. He could even have an intern for every day of the week. I could care less about something so trivial.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Can anyone answer me this question, as i’m not up-to-date w/the stats…but what are the numbers on dem -vs- Rep. in congress? both house and senate? Do the Rep. still have the majority?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

This report presents a profile of the membership of the 108th Congress. Included
    is information on numbers of Members, party affiliation, average age and length of
    service, occupations, religious affiliation, military service, female and minority
    Members, and foreign-born Members.
    Currently, in the House, there are 228 Republicans, 210 Democrats (including five
    Delegates), one Independent, who is aligned with the Democrats, and one vacancy. The
    Senate has 51 Republicans, 48 Democrats, and one Independent, who is aligned with the
    Democrats.
    The average age of Representatives at the beginning of the 108th Congress was 53.9
    years; of Senators, 59.5 years; and of both houses, 54.9. An overwhelming majority of
    Members have a college education. The dominant profession of Members continues
    to be law, followed by business.
    Protestants collectively constitute the majority religious affiliation of Members.
    Roman Catholics account for the largest single religious denomination, and numerous
    other affiliations are represented.
    At the beginning of the 108th Congress, the average length of service in the House
    was about 9 years (4.6 terms); in the Senate, 11.3 years or almost 2 terms.
    A record number of 76 women serve in the 108th Congress: 62 in the House, 14 in
    the Senate. Also a record 25 Hispanic Members, all in the House, including one
    Delegate. There are 39 black Members, all in the House, including two Delegates.
    Seven Members are Asian or Native Hawaiian/other Pacific Islander. There are three
    American Indians.
    This report will be revised at the commencement of the 109th Congress unless
    significant changes occur in the 108th Congress.

Tom S
    Woodbury MN

Keeping control in the Senate is as/more important than the presidental election. There are 19 Dems and 15 Repub seats up for election this go around. Even if JFK wins the presidency he can’t implement his agenda “whatever it may be” without congress.

Favre for President…….# 4 in ’04

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Paid for by the Republican National Committee Not Authorized By Any Candidate Or Candidate Committee – http://www.gop.com

Sums that up!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’d like to take a break from the political rhetoric and share this little dity with all of you.

Click to play!

Enjoy! It’ll take some time to download so please be patient.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

That’s some funny stuff right there…

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Blue Fleck…too funny!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Quote:

So let’s settle for bad because the other MIGHT be worse?

It’s not that Kerry might be worse, it’s that Kerry is a total unknown. Despite the extensive time he’s been in the Senate, we’ve heard very little about his record or justification for voting the way he has other than on abortion, in which he claims that governance cannot contain any sense of personal morality.

You and Wadsworth both have had excursions where you talk curtly and politely about your opinions on America’s safety in the post-Iraqi war world, and I have tried to be curteous in reply and give consideration to your opinions in those matters, as they are certainly open to interpretation and opinion. Discussion of our views is a worthwhile thing, and I’m genuinely interested in what aspects of (specifically) security we need to think about that haven’t received adequate attention.

In matters where I think the administration has been delinquent I am probably the first person to shoot mail at Harkin, Grassley, and (ugggh) Leach to attempt redress of the issue. I also usually contact state-level legislators to see that in the absence of federal measures, Iowa is continuing to do the right thing. I doubt that anyone here would suspect otherwise, and those who know me well will understand that there is plenty of criticism to go around.

Unsubstantiated propoganda, however, has no place in reasonable conversation. We’re all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

Chitwood46
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Seems to me to be two different things represented here. One is excerpts of what one candidate has said or actually done with his votes and the other is opinions. Which view is the more credible one? By the way IMO Tony Dean is a jerk.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

I guess we must be in a recovery. Things are going well here in Iowa. Just noticed three more huge hog confinements going up North of town. I’ll say this at least you people in Mn & surrounding states were smart enough to get some regulations passed to stop new construction. Before to long spanish will be our offical language here in Iowa!

As far as Bush I can’t blame everything on him. After all were the dipshits buying all these forgein made products. Why not ship jobs out of the US to third world contries where they can triple their money thats good buisness sence. As long as they make it will buy it! I also I’am a union man UAW. I work in a washer & dryer plant here in Iowa. Our refrigerator plant in Greenville Michigan is being closed down right now and getting moved south of the border. That means 1500-2000 more Americans are going to be losing their jobs to forgein labor. That’s just at that plant. Think about all the parts that go into a refrigerator. The trickle down affect from the closing is going to cause many many other people their jobs or be “laid off” also. Two bucks an hr. thats what I here they get paid down there. No retirement,no pension,no insurance just 2$ an hr. I wonder how many of the workers are going to buy a 400-1000 refrigerator making 2$ an hr. not many. We are cutting our own throats hell were paying their wages!!

Nothing is going to change unless NAFTA is changed drastically or done away with period. I would like to see how big the difference is between our imports and our exports. I just hope the counrty pulls it’s head out before it’s to late.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Whew…now theres some bias for ya! Are you saying that everything you buy is American made? Better look at your tackle, your rods, your line, your boat and motor. Oh, heck, might even want to think about the fuel you put in your vehicle. NAFTA is what it is! Without it we couldnt export many products including food. Is it perfect? Nope! Oh, and if you stop new construction how do you propose we create more jobs?

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I think that panfish was very up-front about his purchase of foreign goods, and went so far as to say that he does so even as a union member. The notion that we can or should exist without purchase of foreign goods is noble, but I think misguided, especially since the world is essentially shrinking and transportation costs are dwarfed by manufacturing and labor costs. What we should be focused on is how we can be turning the tide in our favor.

In looking up some stats, I ran into a pretty interesting article about foreign investment offsets to the trade deficits. His conclusions were that since foreign ownership of US land, goods, and businesses was essentailly unchanged (in percentage of the GDP) over the last twenty years, it indicates that growth of the domestic economy has offset things to the point that we’re not ‘selling off’ our country to foreign interests. The article itself can be found here, but he doesn’t source his statistics so it is difficult to support his conclusions without first verifying his facts.

A lot of interesting data also can be found here, where the authors took the time to put things together into nice charts which are pretty readable. One of the more interesting ones:

indicates that our close neighbors aren’t necessarily the culprits, or at least not the major culprits, in our trade deficit woes. It’s no surprise that the dictatorial Chinese government has very tight restrictions on foreign goods entering, the US has been attempting to pry open the major markets of the far East since the Nixon administration. Somewhere out there, there’s a billion kids in need of Minnesota Vikings hats and banners who, if we can turn the tide in our favor, will one day make up the balance of our trade problems.

The question is really one of how best to go about breaking into that market. There is a lot of historical evidence that the Communist government will ultimately collapse under its own weight given the lack of worker incentive, but historical examples of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet republic may not hold in the grossly different culture of the far East. I think a lot of people are speculating that by opening trade with China, even at a deficit, some amount of Americanization will take place, leading ultimately to a more open two-way trade policy and perhaps soften the collapse to some extent (although in perspective, the recovery of the former Soviet republics appears to be happening at light-speed).

Will it work? I don’t have enough expertise in Eastern culture or international trade policy to say, but it sure doesn’t seem to be going very fast. It would be interesting to know how much US money is being spent on propping up the Communist government currently. It would be even more interesting to know if the ‘man on the street’ is happy with having his kids chained to a sweatshop floor because he doesn’t want to disgrace his ancestors, or if he’s thinking about the better life he could be living if his government were more cooperative with the US.

I think that the things that will keep the US on top (put the US back on top??) are innovation, incentive, and work ethic. In those areas, I’m not sure there’s much any president can do outside of getting the heck out of our way and letting America get to work (although to be honest, I could use a good vacation)!

Special thanks to James for not nuking this thread a long time ago.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not a problem. Everyone behaved pretty well I thought. Nothing wrong with disagreeing as long as we do it without insulting mothers, heritage and IQ.

Waterloo, IA

I agree with James. This has been one of the most civil political threads I have seen in a long time. Most of them seem to have everyone digging trenches and trucking in munitions after about the first 2 or 3 salvos.

This has been a long election campaign. But it may get interesting yet. We’ve got a GOP convention coming up, yet, and I can’t wait to see the all the nutball protesters make absolute fools of themselves. I hope they don’t isolate them. They’re just too much fun to watch. And the debates!! They should be a real “Hoot”. I think Gianni will find them very entertaining.

Gramps

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

I am no longer voting for Bush or Kerry. Gianni for President.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

Quote:

I can’t wait to see the all the nutball protesters make absolute fools of themselves. I hope they don’t isolate them. They’re just too much fun to watch.

My personal favorite is when they say they have no money and its someone else’s fault. But couldn’t they be at a job making money like most people rather than marching around with a little paper sign saying “I’m Broke, Vote for….” Just my opinion on the protestors.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Mike that link will not work for me.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Links not working Nubbin!

raysresort
    Sauk City, WI

Isn’t straight talk and Bush an oxymoron anyway?

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

That was funny!
    Thanks,

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Even being a Bush supporter such as I am, that was pretty funny!

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

I’ll support President Bush this year. I hope Gianni makes his Cabinet!

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.