shotguns

• gundez-71
    South Minnesota

With this cooler weather, it makes one’s mind start thinking about hunt’n. Who is going to get new shotguns and what is the hot setup going to be?

Gundy

nubbinbuck

I’ve heard some good words on the new Benelli M2 and SBE II. The day I spend $1000.00 on a hunting gun is the day I win the lottery.

Nova
    Verona S/A

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was looking at those M2’s. I’m hankering for a
    12 ga autoloader but don’t really need it. To many other things to spend the money on. If I was it would either be a Benelli or a Remington.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I have the benelli SBE and love it. Bought a 20ga. benelli montifeltro last year and love it too. This year I am looking at double barrels but dont have it narrowed down yet.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nice gun Nub but I’m not a double or over under fan. I wouldn’t own one. Auto or pump.

I want more than two shots available when I’m chasing grouse or pheasants.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

…can’t go wrong with a Benelli! I’ve had mine in the worst possible hunting conditions imaginable with no problems or hang-ups what so ever. I have an M-1; I’m sure the M-2 lives up to the Benelli reputation.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

zuki,
    Not that good a shot huh? Com’on, give the birds a chance!!!!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

give the birds a chance? there first chance is the first ten feet. Just remember to aim for the head .

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I give them all a chance to fry in my pan.
    When it comes to grouse I’m a life taker and 5 shots comes in pretty handy if you run into the mythical covey.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Mike, Birds don’t have lips! The term we use for ducks is “Shoot’en in the face”.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I don’t care where I hit em as long as I can either run em down or hit em again!!!
    Acutally head shots are great for the table. This cool weather is making me crazy. I can taste those grouse filets now!!!!!!
    I think I’m going to run my dog tonight for ring necks.

nubbinbuck

Speaking of being hungry… I have 2 Pheasants in my freezer. First 2 I’ve shot in 15+ years. Can anyone provide nubby (aka the frugal gourmet) a good and easy recipe ?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Fillet out the meat so its flat. No bones. Flour, season and brown in oil using med heat. After brown put in dish and take a can of cream of mushroom soup. Mix half the can of soup mix with half a can of white wine. Pour in dish and bake at 350 for a while. I cant remeber how long!!!!If you just want full flavor after browning them keep them in the frying pan and turn down to simmer for another 45 minutes turning occasionaly. You can add soup like mushroom or cream of chicken for moisture. These are two super simple recipes I usually use. The frying only method seems to work better with grouse since they aren’t as tough. I’m sure you can find more refined recipes searching the net but these work.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Dang Suzuki……….you got me hungry…………..

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Who is going to get new shotguns and what is the hot setup going to be?

I will be sticking with my trusty old Remington 870 pump, I have had it for 15 years.

Quote:

Can anyone provide nubby (aka the frugal gourmet) a good and easy recipe ?

Along with the mushroom soup in nubbinbuck’s recipe you can also add a packet of Lippton onion soup mix.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

JEZZ, AS LONG AS YOU GUYS HAVE BROUGHT THESE BREASTS THIS FAR ALONG ADD A LITTLE JAR OF THOSE LITTLE ONIONS.
    DON’T FORGET TO SETTLE THAT COMPOUND WITH A COUPLE OF ICE COLD BEERS
    GUNDY

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I posted a recipie for beer can pheasant in the upland game forum, if you are interested.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You guys are killing me. See what this cool weather does to us hunters? Next week it will probably be 80 something again and our hunting urges will subside for a while.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

ARE THOSE BREASTS GOING TO BE EATEN BY THEMSELVES OR IS A NICE BAKED POTATO OR TWO GOING TO BE INCLUDED? MIGHT AS WELL MELT SOME BUTTER ADD ALITTTLE GARLIC AND DRISSLE THAT OVER THE TATER. SHOULD YOU MAKE A PINCH TO MUCH JUST ADD TO THE FOWL.

GUNDY

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

well for those that where at the GTG, I cooked up some honkers and they disappeared faster than a set of rims at a puff daddy concert. get er done!!!! I can’t speak for all of those that had some, but I know you can talk to Gator and Brian Sanders, I think that they where pleasantly suprised at how good it tasted.

MMMMMMMM honkers!!!! how many people wished that they where out hunting this morning??? I know i was wishing really bad.

shane

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Shane how do you cook yours? I have a friend of mine who smokes the breast meat only, then he cuts them up into cubes and wraps them in bacon, then cooks it up shish kabob style!
    Then wash it down with a cold glass of beer, MMM-MMM GOOD STUFF!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

well for those that where at the GTG, I cooked up some honkers and they disappeared faster than a set of rims at a puff daddy concert. get er done!!!! I can’t speak for all of those that had some, but I know you can talk to Gator and Brian Sanders, I think that they where pleasantly suprised at how good it tasted.

MMMMMMMM honkers!!!! how many people wished that they where out hunting this morning??? I know i was wishing really bad.

shane

That was some good eating bird. MMMMM,MMMMM GOOD.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Mike, Birds don’t have lips! The term we use for ducks is “Shoot’en in the face”.

We just say “roll ’em”.

Gator Hunter

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I won’t be buying any new one’s this fall…. Bought mine last winter. My choices won’t win me any popularity contests but I picked up a Charles Daly 20ga. pump in full “RealTree” and an Ithica Deer Slayer 20ga. pump. I’ve put more than 50 rounds through each and the Ithica is getting some warranty work done but the C. Daley has been flawless. The Ithica wasn’t handling a full magazine well. Shoot-pump-jammed! It always kicked 2 shells out of the magazine so they’re fixing that for me. Trigger pull is a bit stiff too but I can work with that. Once the pump loading is fixed, I’m sure I’ll be satisfied with it.

waterswat
    WI

I have to agree with duckilr, I also have an M1 and it has performed flawlessly and has been in all types of terrain. My back up is the trusty 870 remington pump. One of the best all around guns ever made. Extremely reliable gun. As for the charles daly you mentioned. I bought the cheap autoloader and you want to talk about the biggest waste of money, I know why they were so cheap.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

My Beretta AL390, the predecessor to the 391, has been a flawless gun over the past 7 years for me. From the mucky duck blind on the field or pond to grouse to phesants I have never had mishap including jams. I highly recommend this gun to anyone.

buckmaster

Not going to get a new shotgun this year. Instead I am going to hook myself up with one of those Red Riders that Ralphy shoots in the x-mas story. That is going to be my killer gun.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.