Canada trip 2004

• fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Thought I would share a few pictures from our recent trip to Bow Narrows Camp in Red Lake Ontario. Great fishing and the catching was good too! My high point on the trip was catching and releasing a 38″ 16lbs Northern on my 8wt flyrod, even got the fight on video! Caught a lot of walleye, most in the 20″ to 27″ range.Saw a lot of wildlife…beaver,otter,loons,eagles,deer and a cow moose with calf !

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

That’s a lot of fish for an 8 weight! Very impresive. What kind of leader do you use for those toothy critters? If I had a nickle for every Bass Bug I’ve lost to a Northern, I’d be floating around in a bass boat. Sounds like a great trip!

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

The pics should be on the way, can’t seem to get them resized.

I was using a 20lb Pike leader from Cabela’s. Tried hair bugs, you could see the pike take them in but before you could set the hook they would blow them back out. Caught 99% of the pike this trip on a white squid for salt water fish with a 1/8 oz slider jig head inside. Could cast about 50 feet with that rig. We just found a deadfall in the water and laid it in close, then let it sink out of sight about 5-8 feet, then hold on !

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

My 1st flyrod pike 30″

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

My 38″ 16 lb pike caught on flyrod and released

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

A nice 24″ walleye

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

here she is…mom moose and her little one !

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Fireman,

Thanks for the tip on the leaders, I’ll check that out. I’ve experimented with regular wire leaders but every once in a while the snap would open up, and I’d either lose a fly or a fish, or both. I finally resorted to making up some bugs and big streamers with sections of wire leader permantly attached.

Beautiful fish, thanks for sharing!

Rootski

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.