Fly in advise

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Leaving on a fly in on Thursday. Taking thermo cells, Coppertone Sport putting the rods in a PVC tube. Food is supplied. Bringing rain gear and tackle of course. Looking for tips and ideas from the guys that have done it. What else should i be considering?

minaki
    Mount Pleasant IA

Beer

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

Absorbine jr for the gnats. Zinc Oxide sunscreen – doesn’t repel the fish the way almost all other products do. A compact sharpening kit. Walkie talkies if you have more than one boat. A water purifying filter. Good luck!

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Beer

I can stay home and drink for a lot less than the trip costs.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Where are you heading?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Brian, I hear if you are quick enough you can, concentration grasshopper.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Afterbite is a product I keep in my tacklebox. It’s small and works great on existing bites of all kinds, found at Walgreens with bug spray.

A quality first aid kit. Butterflies for any deep cuts, tape, antibiotics etc…

I’m not sure the laws on taking live bait across the border anymore. We used to go every year And would open a half gallon of milk on the bottom and put a pound of leeches in and reseal. We would trade the leeches for minnows at the resort, a bait tab after a week can be pretty spendy!

We would use the gullets from Walleyes(under the jaw) and cut slits in them and put on a jig and it’s a great bait!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This time of year, I’d be thinking about both sun and rain protection. Obviously, if you don’t have GOOOD rain gear, now’s the time to upgrade. Also, Gore-tex light hiking boots are just terrific to fish in because they are comfortable for every day wear and when it rains you still have dry feet.

Bring a small bottle of Aloe vera Gel. Nothing takes the sting out of sunburn like this stuff.

I’d also bring a super light long sleeve shirt for sun protection. I HATE the nylon fishing shirts that are all the rage now. They are deathly hot and don’t breathe or wick away sweat.

I have two Filson feather cloth cotton shirts and I’ll never be without them. Absolutely the best, most comfortable shirt to protect from sun and bugs.

Also, bring a broad brimmed hat to protect your ears and neck. For travel, I bring a “boonie” style hat because it can be crushed down to nothing. Much better sun protection than the baseball cap.

I wouldn’t go anywhere north this time of year without a head net. Also, cotton gloves with the fingers cut off to protect the backs of the hands from bugs if they are really nasty.

I don’t go anywhere without a Swiss Army knife and a multi-tool. Both have gotten me out of lots of jams. Also on my never leave home without list is a Petzel headlamp.

Have fun.

Grouse

DIRTBALL2
    WARROAD,MN.USA

Quote:

Where are you heading?

Where is he heading? Probably to Hell if he doesn’t change his ways! DIRTBALL2

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Quote:

Where are you heading?

Where is he heading? Probably to Hell if he doesn’t change his ways! DIRTBALL2

Really? You related to my wife? I’ve heard that before.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.