Pokegama?

• andy bice
    NULL

I’ll be coming up to the grand rapids area with my dad this Wednesday for our yearly fishign trip. Was hoping to target one of those pogemaga trophy walleyes. Anyone been hearing of walleyes being caught over there yet? Was thinking of jigging shiners or lindy rigs but wondering if anyone knows what depth I should be target. Are they on the weed line (12-16) yet?

Also might try deer lake, anyone have an walleye advice over there?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

mike_anderson
    Alborn,Minnesota

Lindy rig leeches on the humps. 25 30 feet for the big walleyes.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I’ll be coming up to the grand rapids area with my dad this Wednesday for our yearly fishign trip. Was hoping to target one of those pogemaga trophy walleyes. Anyone been hearing of walleyes being caught over there yet? Was thinking of jigging shiners or lindy rigs but wondering if anyone knows what depth I should be target. Are they on the weed line (12-16) yet?

It is not what is used to be. There was a smelt die off a few years and ago and the hungry fish went crazy. The locals went crazy to and a lot of big fish hit the frying pan.

With that being said, there are still some tanks to be found.

Deer is a super clear lake. Dawn and Dusk are best. Deep during the day. I always like jigs pitching to shallow water humps as the fish come onto them at night to feed.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

It is not what is used to be. There was a smelt die off a few years and ago and the hungry fish went crazy. The locals went crazy to and a lot of big fish hit the frying pan.

Deer is a super clear lake. Dawn and Dusk are best. Deep during the day. I always like jigs pitching to shallow water humps as the fish come onto them at night to feed.

??????

I don’t buy what you posted there. Hardly anyone boxes those big fish anymore.
    Bite was pretty darn good out there last year when I was there anyway.
    Some that I talked to that have cabins on the lake said it was their best year ever.
    Not saying it will be great again this year, but most lakes in the Grand Rapids area are in great shape walleye wise the way I look at it.

andy bice
    NULL

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

??????

I don’t buy what you posted there. Hardly anyone boxes those big fish anymore.
    Bite was pretty darn good out there last year when I was there anyway.
    Some that I talked to that have cabins on the lake said it was their best year ever.
    Not saying it will be great again this year, but most lakes in the Grand Rapids area are in great shape walleye wise the way I look at it.

yes, i agree, i think the lake still has a lot of potential for big walleyes.

so what do you guys think, should i start on the weed line in 10-18 and work my way out from there?

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I would probably be looking to the weeds/sugar/salter bay right now to start. IMO, it’s a little early for Pokey to be hot yet, but you can probably still catch some.

Big flats that warm up faster maybe.

Definitely graph some of the humps and bars though. You never know.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Untortunately I know first hand of MANY MANY locals who don’t normally waste thier time fishing going out and coming home with limits that included their one over 20″ (most were 24″-26″). I wish I was BSing you.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

so what do you guys think, should i start on the weed line in 10-18 and work my way out from there?

Not a bad place to start. I’ve been finding all the fish much deeper on other lakes up here. It’s a screwy spring so far.

rtni00
    NULL

Quote:

Untortunately I know first hand of MANY MANY locals who don’t normally waste thier time fishing going out and coming home with limits that included their one over 20″ (most were 24″-26″). I wish I was BSing you.

Incidentally, this is what my handle refers to.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Quote:

Dang fish rapers.
    I’m sure it happens. I still think Pokey is in pretty good shape though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.