Trolling motor questions

• Crickschop04

I have two questions regarding transom mount trolling motors.

1. I know I do not want to hook the transom mount to my starting battery as my graphs are connected there. Am I better off hooking the transom mount to the bow with a pair of grp27 hooked in parallel along with the bow mount? or having a dedicated battery in the back.

2. I’ve decided that a 55# thrust is about perfect for my bow. Do I need the same in the back, or could I go lighter?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

As far as batteries goes, more is usually better. If you have the room for a 4th battery, and don’t mind the extra weight, add another for the transom TM.

But, what I would do is wire the transom TM to the (pair) of 27’s, the transom TM to one battery, the bow-mount to the other, and add a simple cut-off switch in the positive jumper lead between the batteries.

This way, depending on your needs, you could have the 2-battery set-up for either TM, run either TM off a single battery, and/or be able to charge the batteries independantly.

Not sure on your boat size, but I use a 55# transom TM on my 1650 Lund, and feel that it’s the perfect size, for what I do.

HRG

Trapper16
    Lakeville, MN

I run a 16′ alumacraft tiller. On the front I have a 55lbs with a grp27 12v system. On the back I also have a 12v 55lbs with a grp27 battery and two graphs hooked up batteries will last me ALL day.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.