Thermo cell?

• Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Whats everybody’s opinion? Do they work for black flies and mosquitos?

scott-k
    Red Wing

No love here for thermocell…but the cutter wicks work well in the little lantern. In the boat on windless night, they have done the ticket for skeeters. Have not tried it for black flies.

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

Thermocell works great for skeeters. We love ours. BK recently posted a utube video about cheap refills.

mar-80
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Absolutely love my therma cell. I have used it both early season hunting and fishing. I was skeptical at first but after a few uses I am a believer. It work as advertised. Also for a cheaper fix for the black flies try a Bounce dryer sheet under your cap. Did that in Canada a few years and it worked great.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Used a thermacell all weekend if you went outside the zone you knew it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No experience with black flies Brian. It’s the schnoz for skeeters though.

They can get kicked over on to the floor and it won’t burn the carpet.

Brian Hoffies

Anybody know if FLeet Farm carries them?

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

I’ve bought all of mine at FF.
    Love them!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Pretty sure I got one of my two from fleet farm….now I need to find where I packed them away.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Themacell seems to work pretty well for the skeets. Not sure about flies but what DOES work for flies is lavender oil. There are a few sprays now that have lavender oil in them and the flies won’t touch you if you have it on. We get ours from some lady in Albert Lea… not sure if she is open for expanded business so I won’t post her info here but she makes it from a bunch of essential oils. Its worked great for ticks this spring too. Spendy stuff but happy with the results for the non-mosquito types.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Find me something that works on horse flies and deer flies. I’ll take 100 skeeter bites to on horse fly bite.

I haven’t tried the Therma Cell on them yet, so I can’t speak on that. If it doesn’t I’d love suggestions. Lavender work on them too?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

X2 on the horse flies! They’re brutal.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I had read somewhere about using fly tape for horseflies. I bought some at the end of the season I am going to try this year. I think its a window fly tape that’s sticky on both sides. I am going to attach it to places in the boat towards the bottom where they like to hang and supposedly they stick to them. its not a repellent. I also read and seen guys that put this tape on cups and attach it to there hats and those horse and deer flies stick to them.

I bought a fly spray from a farm place used in horse and cattle barns that works fairly well for a while repelling these annoying things.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Quote:

Find me something that works on horse flies and deer flies. I’ll take 100 skeeter bites to on horse fly bite.

I haven’t tried the Therma Cell on them yet, so I can’t speak on that. If it doesn’t I’d love suggestions. Lavender work on them too?

Yes sir… thats what I was referring to with the general term ‘flies’… sorry for the confusion. Its the only thing that I’ve found effectively combats those nasty deer flies. But I had to find something because I react badly to a deer fly bite. Like you said… I’d take a 1,000 of mosquito bite to one deer fly bite.

Now Pug, I’m only speaking for results from me and my family. You may have a brand of odor that the flies can’t ignore

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Glad I read your whole post. I was going to put fly tape on my feet and ankles.

There is nothing more distracting than horse/deer flies while fishing.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

nuttin but informative posts from me big shooter!!!!!!!! but I am going to give it a go!!!!!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

This is the best option I’ve found for black flies.

chippee
    sw wi

skeeters are the only thing I have found that therma cells work on. a couple buddies of mine have said they are having good luck with buggins insect repellant for flies and gnats. gotta get me some and try it, its available at menards stores I believe

Brian Hoffies

Any idea what i can expect to pay?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

$26.95 or less.

Brian Hoffies

Thank you sir.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I thought I saw them at 4 Seasons last year for $21. or $22. but it’s a little drive for you to stop in and see Chris.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Holy Crap were the skeeters thick last night.

I wasn’t out past dark, in fact I was getting fuel at Bay City at 9:15 pm and they were thick there as well.

I left my truck door open while loading the boat and I thought I was in the woods as many skeeters as there was in the cab!

2014 is going to be the year of the Mosquito!

Brian Hoffies

I picked some up ( thermo cells) at Fleet Farm yesterday for $19.48 each for my Canadian trip. I’m not sure they will last that long to get there. I may fire them up at home this weekend.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I hear you B.

One thing that chews up the fuel is forgetting about them. I think each cartridge is to last 8 hours…it’s empty when I wake up at noon the following day.

I try to keep it in plain sight so I can turn it off after dark when the skeeters aren’t bad or at least see it when I’m putting the boat to bed.

Brian Hoffies

According to the packaging there is (3) things that last 4 hours each. I have never used or saw one used so I will find out for myself how the thing works I guess.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Isn’t it the pads that last 4 hours? The butane lasts longer.

Brian Hoffies

Yes, the pads.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

we have 3 of them. my wife says they work good!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

YOu should have grabbed refills or are you waiting until you test them? Most days, its that hour window at sunrise and sunset where you really need it. Just remember, it doesn’t work immediately when turned on. It takes about 5-10 minutes to warm up and be at peak performance.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.