LEECHES

• TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

I would like to know ,how do you store or even keep your leeches alive for more than a few days? Will a gallon milk jug do ? Do I need to keep the water cold ? Any info would help.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Cold water is key along with fresh water, tap water is probably not the best choice due to added chemicals, assuming you have city water. Distilled, spring water, or well water being better choices for refreshign their water. I keep them in the fridge, and make sure to keep the cold as much as possible when I use them out fishing. I’ve heard, (although I cannot back it up with fact), that once the water temp rises above a certain point the leeches go into breeding mode, and will die shortly afterwards. Basically cold fresh water, and if you can slide it past the wife’s eyes hide them in the fridge. You could keep the in really any container assuming you follow those 2 hints., but you might want to be careful if put them in a gallon milk container than put them in the fridge, or a divorce could be short comming

That or you can use my backup method to keeping leeches alive, and not catch and fish

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Yes…..keeping them in cold fresh water is the key!
    I have a bait/beer frig in the garage that I keep at 40-42 deg’s. I normally have two five gal. buckets with at times up to 3-5 lbs. of leeches in them. I will change the water every other day or so using well water. Pick out the dead ones when changing the water……….

scottsteil
    Central MN

Put them in a leech tamer and put them in the back of the toilette you use the most in your house if you have well water. Every time you flush, they get fresh cold water. They will live for a very long time that way and no one has to see them.

John Luebker

That is a very interesting idea I am guessing though my wife would feel more comfotable with then in the frig

brunn
    Andover, MN

My wife would probably feel more comfortable with the toilet idea too – unless one of the critters escapes!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Put them in a leech tamer and put them in the back of the toilette you use the most in your house if you have well water. Every time you flush, they get fresh cold water. They will live for a very long time that way and no one has to see them.

Wow now that’s an interesting idea, I’m sure it would work great too! Cool idea!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thats a good tip Scott, Very little water is needed when storing leeches. The Tamer keeps them from drowning because it floats. Leeches are nothing but an underwater nightcrawler and will drown if kept in a container filled with water. Leeches need water to keep them moist and restricting thier movement will keep them from going throught thier life cycle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.