IDO TV – Pre-Spawn ‘Eyes on Blades & Rattle Baits

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Video Details: Season 8 – Episode 20. Open Water Fishing. James Holst and In-Depth Outdoors Field Staffer Eric Rehberg kick off the 2014 open water broadcast season on the Mississippi River at Red Wing, MN.

To watch Season 8 – Episode 20, click on the video player above OR use this direct link >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4vwMFLn_Gc

Don’t forget to set those DVRs or tune in next Sunday at 8AM on FSN to catch the show!

brentbullets

Only caught a small part of it but wasn’t this on this morning?

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Quote:

Only caught a small part of it but wasn’t this on this morning?

Yes, this episode aired this AM. The guys filmed it on Wednesday this week.

shamus
    Inactive

Enjoyed the episode, thanks guys!

Anyone know what specific brand/model rod Eric was using for pitching blades?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’m not 100% positive but I believe Eric was using a rod he made himself. Not sure of the blank. Shoot him a PM for specifics.

tbrooks11

As always, great video James and Eric! Always so much useful information that comes in handy to a beginner like myself! I really look forward to trying out the blade bait technique later this week.

I was really glad to hear the fish will stay shallower for a few more weeks. Ive had some great success from shore in the last week or so, hopefully a blade bait will make it even better!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

OK !!!

that was a fun show to watch !!!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Good show guys!

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

James, sooner or later I’ve watched all the shows since day one of your filming. I’ve watched you fish all over the Midwest for some big fish.

Of all the shows, watching you fish on Pool 4 are the best to me. It could be because it’s in my front yard and the places are familiar, but I think it’s more about your sense of being “home” that comes through my computer monitor. Maybe it’s just my imagination.

Either way, it’s spring on the Mississippi River. You and Eric put some “pep in my step” with that show!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

So you’re sayin there’s a chance! Reports for the same day on the river can vary from “they were biting like crazy” to “very slow” Todays show proves what can be done out there. This is very exciting since I’ll be out there in the morning. Hope my report is one of the good ones!

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Great show . I can’t wait to try this out on the Wi. river here in my back yard. Water is way to high and swift here it maybe a week or so before it’s safe to go out.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Like james mentioned it is a rod I built myself. It built from a St. Croix blank. SCII, 6’9 MLF
    The second major piece in the puzzle is the reel. You need a good instant anti-reverse reel. I am partial to the Shimano Stradic CI4. The Symetres are also a good reel!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Of all the shows, watching you fish on Pool 4 are the best to me. It could be because it’s in my front yard and the places are familiar, but I think it’s more about your sense of being “home” that comes through my computer monitor. Maybe it’s just my imagination.

Nope, it isn’t your imagination. As the boat slid off the bunks into the river I was hit by a wave of emotion that basically reminded me “you’re home, son!” Every time I fish pool 4 I’m amazed at how quickly I fall back into the rhythms of the river after being away for such an extended period of time. Now I just need to find time to fish it more than once a year.

basseyes

Great show!

Couple of questions;

1. Why are female pre spawn walleyes crushing these baits? Is it food or does that vibration irritate them, and is it more of a reaction strike? The latter is what I’d assume?

2. Why not use a bait casting rod and reel?

3. The current seams aren’t the main target? Was kind of surprised to see the fan casting of the whole river it seemed like?

Great information and really liked how you guys tried making sure guys knew that wasn’t the only area to use this method in. Once again solid information, wrapped in an enjoyable to watch, entertaining program. Very little fluff or product pitching. But packed with information, usable tactics and well explained techniques.

Thanks for all the time and effort put into these shows. For the average fisherman they really speed up the learning curve. The filming and editing is clear, easy and enjoyable to watch. The editing and camera work makes it easy to see what is being done and is explained in an easy to understand manner.

Really appreciate all the time and effort put into these shows and there helpful nature!

jtstarvinmarvin
    Woodbury, MN

What size and type of swivel or snap were you using when fishing with the blade baits? I usually fish with a ball bearing swivel when using blade baits but was wondering if just a certain type of snap would do the trick as well…?? Thanks!

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

Great show as always, I just have one question.
    Why did Eric have to bring an anchor? Don’t you have? and if not I have one you could borrow if you would like.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Starvin,
    Welcome to IDO,
    I’d say you do not need a swivel snap, the blade does not really rotate or spin during a retrieve.
    But you do need a quality snap, Cross-lock snaps are reliable, and allow to put on a different color if you choose.
    again,
    Welcome to IDO,
    Jack

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Why did Eric have to bring an anchor? Don’t you have? and if not I have one you could borrow if you would like.

Eric prefers one style. I prefer another. I told him if he wanted his style of anchor he needed to bring it. He brought it. No loaner anchor needed. But thanks for the offer.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Great show!

Couple of questions;

1. Why are female pre spawn walleyes crushing these baits? Is it food or does that vibration irritate them, and is it more of a reaction strike? The latter is what I’d assume?

I could postulate the reason why they do what they do but the truth is… I honestly don’t know the “why”. What’s important is knowing that big pre-spawners will often “react” favorably to aggressive presentation while ignoring more natural, slower presentations at this time of year.

Quote:

2. Why not use a bait casting rod and reel?

100% personal preference. There’s no reason why you couldn’t use a bait caster with equal success.

Quote:

3. The current seams aren’t the main target? Was kind of surprised to see the fan casting of the whole river it seemed like?

We caught some of our fish relating to the current seam but the fish were scattered inside the seam as well. That’s one of the great attributes of this kind of lure… you can fish them fairly quickly and cover a lot of water. We caught fish in 4′ of water and 14′ of water, often within minutes of each other.

Quote:

Great information and really liked how you guys tried making sure guys knew that wasn’t the only area to use this method in. Once again solid information, wrapped in an enjoyable to watch, entertaining program. Very little fluff or product pitching. But packed with information, usable tactics and well explained techniques.

You’re most welcome. Eric and I had a blast fishing together and we both enjoy sharing what we know with other anglers.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

Eric prefers one style. I prefer another. I told him if he wanted his style of anchor he needed to bring it. He brought it. No loaner anchor needed. But thanks for the offer.

Do you prefer an anchor VS a Minn Kota i-Pilot with spot lock? I have heard quite a few guys say that with the i-pilot / spot lock they do not even carry an anchor in there boat anymore.

shamus
    Inactive

Thanks for the info on the rod and reel, Eric and James.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

What size and type of swivel or snap were you using when fishing with the blade baits? I usually fish with a ball bearing swivel when using blade baits but was wondering if just a certain type of snap would do the trick as well…?? Thanks!

You do not need a snap swivel in this case. I use Duo lock snaps in size 2. Im sure there are others out there that work but these work for me so I stick with them!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do you prefer an anchor VS a Minn Kota i-Pilot with spot lock? I have heard quite a few guys say that with the i-pilot / spot lock they do not even carry an anchor in there boat anymore.

Depends on the situation. In higher water like we have now and also when trying to position the boat right on the current seam the anchor mode will work but it will also swing you around a lot more. It will also bring you back and forth into and out of the seam causing to boat to spin and make it hard to fish. In this situation we opted for the anchor as we knew we wouldn’t me moving every couple 10 minutes and didn’t need to over work the trolling motor.
    Would the I-piliot work in this situation? Yes it would but I prefer an anchor to hold me firm and in one place.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks Eric, good info for sure!

mbystrom
    NULL

James,
    Fantastic show! Really happy to see you guys don’t hide the locations you are fishing (unlike most shows; aka the Linders). I read the other posts but dont recall anyone asking about any special nuances in the presentation. I know you said to let the bait drift naturally with the curret, but did the casting angle make any difference?

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

James,
    Fantastic show! Really happy to see you guys don’t hide the locations you are fishing (unlike most shows; aka the Linders). I read the other posts but dont recall anyone asking about any special nuances in the presentation. I know you said to let the bait drift naturally with the curret, but did the casting angle make any difference?

The casting angle can make a difference. I wouldn’t say there is only one way to cast them but there is usually only one way the fish want it on a given day. I usually break it down to 3 choices. Casting straight into the current and working it right back along side the boat, casting at an angle to the current and letting it drift through the current and casting down current and holding it. Depending on the fishes mood they may want any of the 3.
    More times than not we are casting at a 45 into the current and letting it sweep as we work the bait until it gets straight down current, then reel up and do it again.

Long story short, try all angles until the fish tell you what they want!!

jake11_30
    NULL

Hey guys, love the show. New to blade baits, would like to cast them for walleye. What particular blade bait was used for the show or which ones do you recommend? Thanks!

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Hey guys, love the show. New to blade baits, would like to cast them for walleye. What particular blade bait was used for the show or which ones do you recommend? Thanks!

B-Fish-N tackle has a good one and good colors. Otherwise there is a couple other choices usually found at your local bait store. I was using a custom poured one that you can order from lure parts online. Lots of choices on styles and most all of them work!!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.