FORD DIESEL

• gundez-71
    South Minnesota

WHAT KINDA MILEAGE YOU GET WITH THOSE RIGS. GOING TO CANADA I SEEN QUITE A FEW OF THOSE RIGS. ESPECIALLY FROM WISCONSIN.
    ANYONE PULLING THE CHEVY DURAMAX? ONE OTHER THING. WHAT IS YOUR OPINIONS ON TRANSOM BARS OR SAVERS?

GUNDY

GUNDY

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I have a 2002 7.3F-250Crew Cab. Got 16 mpg going to Lac Suel 10days ago I was pulling 17 ft princecraft with 115 and 15 4 stroke kicker so its a pretty heavy rig. My brother with 2003 F-150 pulling 1750 crestliner got 13 mpg.
    My Evinrude has a built in trailering transom saver. My previous engine was a Merc and i used a transom saver that connected to the trailer both work. I would use what the engine manufarturer recommends.
    Mwal

scottsteil
    Central MN

Anyone running the Duramax? It is about that time for a new tow vehicle and this one is going to be a diesel. Looking for opinions

graberc
    NW Metro

I’ve got a 2004.5 Chev Duramax/Ally. Only had it since 5/1, and about 6500 miles on it now. I get 20ish on the freeway unloaded, about 15-16 with a 1700 Pro sport 115 Johnson, really depends on speed though. If you want to cruise much beyond 70 you’ll really start to see a drop in mileage. Optimum speed & MPG combo is at 1800 RPMs. Also winds matter too, these trucks sit higher and wind resistance makes a huge difference.

In general Chev has always been a touch better in the MPG mark, but a lot of things to compare; speed, load, wind, rear end gear ratio, etc etc.

I’m really happy with my new Crew Cab, that was the main reason I went with the diesel since I wasn’t going backwards in the MPG area by buying a 6.0L gas!

Here is a pic!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I run a f-350 7.3lt deisel my milage stays around 18 the best I ever got was 22. It doesnt matter weather I am towing or not. Ford had the best motor (7.3) for the longest time until they switched to the 6.0. Any one with a 7.3 not getting 16 or better should consider some modifications. A simple power chip can change your gas milage by up to 3mpg. I have a chip in my truck and it makes a big differnce in hp. There are many other inexpensive ways to increase you milage and hp.

If I were to buy a new truck today I would go with the duramax if I didnt need it for a plow truck. A much better ride and seems to be getting alot better milage. A friend of mine has a new duramax 4 door long box and gets 20-22mpg.

Just my 2 cents

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

Grabs….great looking truck.

Scott….My 2001 pulls my 620 with no problems whatsoever. You should end up in the same situation, unless your moving to a 621???? Hook up with either Grabs or myself for a test run. I’ve been getting around 19-21 mpg unloaded and around 15 mpg towing. Like Grabs said, keep it under 2000 rpm’s for the best mileage, but then you also eliminate the fun of towing a big boat uphills at 70-75 mph without the truck breaking a sweat.

Dean Thorn

graberc
    NW Metro

Some times a guy just needs to get on the gas, make sure you don’t look down at the INST ECON display at that time!

I really like the grade braking feature, it works in either Standard or Tow Haul mode, more promient in Tow haul mode with the boat hooked up. It really helps slow down the load when breaking, hardly need to use the breaks.

Scott if you want to get out maybe make a trip some where for a day on the weekend,..maybe Waska I could meet you up your way and you could drive my truck out to the lake from there. Otherwise I have a few Fridays and Mondays off coming up too. Shawn and I are planning to fish some where next Friday before the mystery event, we want to get into some smallies some where before we head to Clueless’s.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Gundez, I strogly recommend a transom saver! You will definitely notice the difference in tow. Rides so much smoother and saves your transom, hence transom saver . For the $30 or so they are well worth the money.

worm

I just got back from Canada last week, pulled the old red lund, round trip was 1482mi./77.5gal or 19.1 mpg!
    The CTD in my Dodge is !

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Noisy though! Can’t even sit next to them at stop lights without getting blown out! Duramax is about as quiet as they get.

jbob
    Hastings, MN

I finally have to agree with Chappy. I pull a 1900 pro V ifs loaded and get between 13 to 15 mpg with a 2004 chev duramax. One thing is that you will never be short power. Speed makes the difference in mpg. I am not one to go slow.

northern illinois

i RUN A ’02 Dodge 3500 CTD 4×4. Being a roofing contractor I need the power and the 4×4 for pulling heavy dump trailers thru the landfill. I pull a fish hawk 1750 up North every spring. Whether its my boat or the heavy dump trailers I get about 15 mpg. Must be the 4×4 drag eating more fuel. second big Dodge ive owned and woulnt have anything else. Trading up for the ’05 as soon as they get prices. Suppose to be much quieter; might help for gettin to my deer hunting spot.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

You could go with a Mercadies diesel, gits about 30mpg, and could maybe haul a canoue, maybe.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.