I’m seeing spots. … . . .. .. . ..

• newt
    Pillager, MN

A couple weeks ago after a rain my depth finder and part of my steering wheel had white spots that appear to be water marks. I’ve tried cleaning them off but they won’t go away. Is this some kind of acid rain or something from nearby trees? Has anyone ever experienced this and if so, what, if anything, can be done to get rid of it?

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Did you put the boat under a tree? It may be a sap of some sort.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If they’re actually water spots a little white vinegar on a soft rag will clean up the fish finder and get it looking like new again. If it’s sap or some other plant material you’ve got me at a loss.

newt
    Pillager, MN

There were trees nearby that with the wind and rain could have deposited some gunk on my boat. I’ll try the vinegar thing and see what happens. I would really like to clean this up as I have a broken steering wheel and now a crappy lookin depth finder…looks like a garbage scow!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Could you have over sprayed some bug repellant by accident? Nasty stuff there. I wrecked the face of a depth finder a few years back that way. White spots that never went away….

-J

newt
    Pillager, MN

Aaaaah. Nephews (and others) in and out of the boat that weekend and lots of skeeters. Bug spray was definately in the air. So you never found a way to clean this up?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Nope. It’s almost like it melts the plastic. The stuff is no longer allowed in my boat. Lotion type only.

-J.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Bug sprays do a job on golf club grips too!

newt
    Pillager, MN

It sounds like the bug stuff it probably the culprit. My other depth finder was not affected and I was curious as to why. They must not have been spraying for bugs by that one. I’m going to check the can for any warnings when I get home tonight. Sounds like I’m stuck with the scow for now….hmmmm….hey honey, I think it’s time for a new boat!

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

It’s the DEET in the spray that does it. That stuff is nasty. I’ve got some spots in my boat that won’t go away either. they aren’t large, only about the size of a pin head, but they look terrible. The lotion stuff is the best.

Jira

I like it best when at the landing you put it on after loading because you’re getting attacked and you jump in your truck and drive off only to watch your steering wheel melt.

But that’s never happened to me.

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Try Goo Gone. I had the same thing happen because of over use of Bug spray (I only buy the kind with the highest Deet due to being allergic to bug bites) and Goo Gone worked for me. But you need to do it soon, other wise the sun bakes in the spots.

newt
    Pillager, MN

I think I’m probably too late. Looks like I’m going to have to learn to live with some white freckles for awhile.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.