the wierdest stuff you have ever caught!!

• Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

seeing how we have all of the stuff that you have lost over the side of the boat, what about the wierdest stuff you have ever pulled into your boat.

on sunday while out fishing on pool 4. i pulled in a skeeter ball cap. that is the first time that i have pulled in someone elses personal effect. I am just wondering what other stuff people have caught.

thanks

shane

thanisch

I pulled an ultra-light combo out of Gull two years ago. It wasn’t in the best shape but I cleaned it up and rigged it for bobber fishing with the kids. My father-in-law pulled a bait cast combo out of Oahe one year when I was with him. I’ve also caught clams.

illinois

this didnt happen to me but i was about 11 years old fishing with my dad in a buddy tournament when we got to the weigh in one guy was telling the story on how he left a rattle trap dangling over the side of the boat and a huge fish came out of the water and grabbed the trap and drug his pole in the water

well a couple minutes later a guy walks over with a rod and reel with a rattle trap and asks does this look familiar guy said yes well the fish turned out to be 10 inches long on the other end when the guy snagged the pole

funny story i figure id share

IceJohn

Clams,bull fogs, a trap,beer can all rusty could hve used it that day.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

BFD caught a pair of underwear once!

boone
    Woodbury, MN

A few years ago a friend caught a spinning rod and reel that apparently had been pulled in the water by a small sheepie. It was funny… at first he thought he had a fish, then a stick, then he said he didn’t know what was going on. He brought his jig to the boat which had snagged the line between the rod and the sheepie. He pulled the line in until he got to the rod and then proceeded to reel in the sheepie. Judging by the good condition of the rod and the sheepie, it didn’t appear to be in the water for more than a day or two. I bet that sheepie was relieved to be back in the water without being attached to that rod.

Early this spring I caught the tail of what appeared to be a very large paddle fish just below Everts. I don’t mean I snagged a live paddle fish; just the severed tail. The flesh looked to be in pretty good shape… not very rotten or anything. The jig popped out as the tail came to the surface so I didn’t get a picture. I suppose that ice cold water could keep the flesh pretty decent looking for a while. Perhaps it was a sturgeon tail but it look more like a paddle fish. It was pretty thick. About five years ago I saw the severed tail of a large sturgeon floating down the channel in Pool 3 just upstream from Diamond Bluff. I’m guessing that fish was at least a five footer, maybe a little bigger. I wonder what could have happened to these fish?

Boone

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Barges with their huge props do a number of carp, big sturgeon, etc.

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

An ultra lite Ugly Stick with an Abu reel and a spare tire off some ones boat trailer.

chico-diablo
    New Richmond, WI

While fishing a tournament at Lake Livingston, TX, I hooked into an aligator, using a buzz bait, lost the lure, but sure was not going to boat that one.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

A mud puppy at night, ice fishing on North Lake………when I had too many beers…………

A 5′ cottonmouth at night……….again…….too many beers…………

Also had a big black tarantula come up to me and sit on my tackle box. It was about 5 inches accross………again………at night……….again………tooooooooooo many beers………

I’ll never fish in Texas again at night………..Actually, I’ll never go to Texas again………..

Talk about the eebeejeebees………..

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

That’s funny about the mud puppy – I caught one once ice fishing Pool 2 after too many beers

Thought I was going to have to start going to AA – never seen one of those things before!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Those mud puppies sure are a sight to be hold!

I have caught a few rods and reels over the years, tennis shoes, seagulls, a muskrat, condoms on Pool 4, radial tires, etc…. but the most impressive catch I can remember is my brother dropping his Coleman lantern down the ice hole on LOTW in 30 feet of water. Within minutes after losing it, he caught it and brought it back up! Dumped out the water and she fired right up again!

raysresort
    Sauk City, WI

3 times now this year I’ve snagged line with fish on the other end. Not weird but 3 times? Twice in 2 days actually.

Pulled a road sign this spring. A leather Harley davidson hat.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I caught one of those aligator clip weights while lindy rigin on milacs. caught a beer can on lake of the woods ice fishing. My friends thought it would be funny to tie it to my line but half way down it came off. They never said a thing until two hours later I caught it.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Ive caught so many mud puppies in the spring, we just kill them, cause they swallow the hooks so bad. Ive caught eels and crawfish too.

My buddy caught a stringer with a carp (one alive, one old and dead), and a catfish on it. Sucks to be the people who lost it. But why would they have kept a rotting carp?

thanisch

Hey Steve, how did you ever snag the little package that those condoms come in?

BomberA

Steve,

Could I please have my rubbers back. I have been looking for those for quite a while.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I brought up a bicycle north of the C.R. dam.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Well, lets just say they were not in the package all tidied up!

rmartin
    United States

A bicycle is also my biggest catch. Also:
    several fishing poles
    remains of a filleted walleye
    rope with anchor attached
    lures I had lost at least 2 years earlier
    tip up with dead carp attached
    american eel hooked in mouth on shadrap #5
    mooneye hooked in mouth on shadrap #9
    40″+ sturgeon hooked in mouth casting red eye 3″ for northerns

Jira

In 20+ feet of water I caught a 1/4 oz jig head I lost on a Monday with an identical jig head on the same rock pile the following Tuesday.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Caught a 4′ eel one night catfishing, thought I had pulled a monster snake into the boat…whoooooa. I’ve also brought up a spool of barbed wire, and my best, a Grateful Dead T-Shirt, still in the package!
    John

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

into the boat

You are a better man than I! If that eel would have come in my boat…I would have left…..yes…I would have tried to walk on water!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Does remind me of fishing Waubay Lake in South Dakota. About 4 years ago, me and 3 buddies went out there ice fishing for pike. (by the way, it is a great spot for pike!!!!! Bigguns!!!!)

Anyways, we are fishing in about 22feet of water. A flag goes and I grab the tip up. I set the hook and all of a sudden SHE GETS REALY HEAVY. I holered to get the gaf, since we were fishing through 3.5 feet of ice.

I pull the fish to the bottom of the ice and it gets stuck. 10 inch hole and this pike is stuck!!!!!!!!!!

All of a sudden, I see this small pike tail come up backwards into the hole………….HUH!?!?!?!?!?!?

As I try to pull the fish up, something keeps hitting the bottom of the ice………thunk……thunk……thunk………HUH!!?!?!?!?!

My buddy reaches down with gaf, hooks the fish (only about 5lbs) and pulls up a strand of barbwire!!!!!!!!!!

The fish swam under a barb wire fence and that is what I was pulling up!!!!!!!!!!! IN 22 FEET OF WATER!!!!!!!!

Waubay is like Devils Lake. It flooded about 10+ years ago

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.