How to handle big fish

• Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I have got the wingdam bug. Most of my recent outings have been pitching raps into the damns. While I am still in the learning curve, I have managed to muster up a few big fish. How does one handle these big walleye once you get them in the boat. By handle I mean, get them out of the net, measure and and take a quick snapshot of the beast before returning it to the water?
    Last night I pulled in a 24″, got it in the boat, then the real struggle started, man that fish kicked my butt, and my fingers have the marks to prove it. Any help is appreciated, I don’t want to hurt the fish, (or myself) but I do want to get my pict on this site with some nice hawgs!

Thanks

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I know what you are saying. Some of those big girls on the wing dams do not look to happy to be disturbed and are mad as heck when brought in the boat. I had one the other day that got away from me and ended up getting wedged under my back bench seat. What a mess.

You might want to try to get a hand on them while the fish is still in the net and in the air. Nothing worse for you or the fish than putting it in the bottom of the boat and letting it roll up in the net. Then I would think it is either gill grabbing them or on smaller fish. Grabbing them from the top by pressing down on each gill plate. This really seems to slow the smaller fish down and I have heard is better for the fish than sticking your fingures (spelling?) in there gills.

Also bring bandages for while you are learning to handle the bigger fish and for when you thought you knew what you where doing with them. I had a nice 26″ eye get me pretty good earlyer this year. I grabbed her from the top over the gills and she cut both fingures with her gills. I was still bleeding a half hour after she was back in the water. What a mess.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I think we are just going to get hurt once in a while bringing them into the boat and handling them. Same goes for the small ones.

Sometimes you can pin them with your knee before grabbing them. You could get those filet gloves. Good luck taking the time to put them on. I know I never would.

rmartin
    United States

It is still my opinion that netting is very bad for fish. If you plan to net all of your fish, get one of those rubber mesh nets. I try to hand land as many of my fish as possible (wet your hands first). True, I have lost some nice fish on the count of this, but then I just have to swallow my ego and consider what is best for the fish. The over the gill grab works well for walleyes up to 9 lbs, then it is tough to get your hand around that far. Once you get the fish in the air, you can slip a couple fingers under the gill plate and get the mouth opened up. Put you thumb on the other side of the 2 fingers you have inside (do not go up too far or you will enconter the gill rakers), (this is sometimes called the Leech lake lip lock). If you can do all of this while the fish is still in the water in the net, so much the better. Once you have the hooks out, you can put your other hand under the belly for a photo if you wish.

If the fish does not recuperate quickly and swim right away, you will need to revive it. You can grab the thin part above the tail and move the fish back and forth in the water. If the fish does not open up its mouth, the same gill grip can be used with the tail grip to open the fishes mouth. It is better to move the fish in a forward direction or face it into the current. The fish will begin to squirm when it has recovered some of its energy.

Bass can be grabbed by the lower jaw, be careful of the hooks. Some people grab smallies by the belly.

Northerns under 10 pounds can be grabbed across the gill plates, over 10 lbs, you can slide up under the top of the gill plates and find a good hold there. Wet your hands first.

You have to have an in control attitude. You need to show the fish who is boss. If the fish feels you let up at all, it will thrash and that is when you and the fish can get hurt.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

You mean you don’t grab them by the eye sockets????

Just kiddin don’t ever grab them by the eyes…that’s a death sentence.
    I agree with the net issue…if at all possible hand land your fish…it is much better for them, it takes a little practice and you might miss some photo ops but you won’t injure the fish either.
    I figure if I could have got it with the net but lose it trying to hand land it….it counts as one for the good guys.
    John

rmartin
    United States

Quote:

I figure if I could have got it with the net but lose it trying to hand land it….it counts as one for the good guys.

My attitude also.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Confidence is everything! I see guys taking such a cautious approach! I’m afraid of the hooks too but you’ve got to maintain that “I’m going to do this” attitude or the fish will bounce off the floor everytime! With bass, crappie, and gills……. in my opinion there’s almost no excuse. Gills and crappies are easy in that “cone over the nose and firmly grip” method. No need to wait on their cooperation or “the right position”. Bass……. lip or belly. Anytime there’s hooks at the belly, there’s room in the mouth.

Toothy fish are always a more delicate matter but I just look for the opening and grab ’em. I do bleed once in a while…… sometimes it even hurts, but my hesitations can cause greater wounds, higher consequences, and even increase the likelihood of getting stuck with a hook so I look for the opening and “charge”!

When in absolute doubt and you don’t want to take the risk, pliers to the hooks and never touch the fish. It works well. My net is always in the boat as a last resort and frankly, I think it’s been used twice since I bought 4 years ago! Fishing at night sometimes requires a little help.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

How to handle big fish? simple

insert the knife right behind the gill plate and cut down until you fee bone, then in a horizontal motion, filet down to the tail. Repeat other side…DONE!!

Lol.. .i’m sorry..had to…I’m just so giddy to go on vaca i’m worthless here at work!!

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Whenever I catch a big fish, I get out the club and hit em over the head. They calm down fast. Gotta feed the seagulls.

I have shot large northerns with the Glock I carry in my shoulderholster.

Lund owners probabaly have a small Saturday Night Special they carry under their garterbelt they use for such an occasion

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

I have to aplogize to all Lund owners abput the last crack I made about where they store they handguns.

I should have said purse.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I thought all warrior boats came with a Red Ryder??

I don’t carry a gun with my Lund. The superior hull works fine for ramming offensive targets.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sorry about that last warrior crack. The company would never hand out guns of any kind with their boat….especially given the fact they already give you a cute tea set..or was that a cordless curling iron? I get confused between warrior and Crestliner.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

I took the tea set. It is amazing that you can drive WOT in 4 foot waves and not spill a drop.

Crestliners used to come with blenders or a butter churn. They decided to forgo them and just instructed the buyers to place the ingrediants to marguiritas or butter in the livewell and you can serve in 10 minutes.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Thanks to everyone for their insight and experience. A special thank you to Mr. Positive Stillakid2 for making me out to be a wuss, Slop Boss for making sure I eat well, and Kevin for giving away my hiding spot for my secret weapon!!! You guys are the best. See you on the water.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.