Fridge fix? Help me out…

• out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

So my water dispenser stopped working on my fridge. I thought it was maybe my filter so I took it out and put in the plastic piece to bypass the filter and it still wont work.

My ice maker works so my only other guess is my line froze up? It hasnt moved so I find it hard to believe anything got kinked.

Any one have any other ideas that I might be able to try myself before I have to call the pro’s.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

If it’s a Maytag it could possibly be froze up. I had one up until a few months ago and I had to completely thaw it out twice a year for the last 5 years…….and no, the auto defrost worked. I had the “loneliest man” out a couple of times before I decided to thaw it myself.

munchy
    NULL

Quote:

So my water dispenser stopped working on my fridge. I thought it was maybe my filter so I took it out and put in the plastic piece to bypass the filter and it still wont work.

My ice maker works so my only other guess is my line froze up? It hasnt moved so I find it hard to believe anything got kinked.

Any one have any other ideas that I might be able to try myself before I have to call the pro’s.

My sister and brother in laws did the same thing. He did some research and found out if you replace the filter and don’t have it just an exact certain way while inserting it it will break a part inside the housing and you will have no water. It is apparently very common problem with that brand. I don’t recall what brand they have but you may want to Google the model number and see if anything comes up. The only way to fix it is replacing the housing the filter goes intofor around $100.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Its a GE and takes the MWF cartridge which i guess have been replaced with the MWFP cartridge.

Thanks, Keep the ideas coming!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I’ve also had mine freeze – Kitchen Aid. Had the pro out once because I didn’t know what was wrong…he asked for a hair dryer . Has happened since and I just pile everything in coolers and let it thaw for a day. Always works.Probablycan skip the coolers and use the garage with our current temps

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Same here, Maytag that froze up due to a very small piece of dust/dirt that got caught in the drain. They use a rubber flapper that allows water through until a tiny amount of dirt gets caught in it. It is supposed to keep the cold air from passing down into the drain pan.

Very easy fix to take the back panel off and thaw it out with a hair dryer.

Google your model and add the word frozen or no water and you will most likely find a youtube video on how to fix it.

I also opened up the rubber flapper a little larger so this doesn’t happen again!!!!!

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I have an Amana side-by-side and my water line froze a couple of times. Make sure the valve for the water dispenser is working–listen for a click down below the doors as you depress the dispenser bar. If you hear it then you probably have an ice plug in the line. It will freeze down low on the door if circulation is poor in the freezer. The quick and dirty method to defrost the line is to use a flexible vinyl hose smaller than the PE water line and work it as far as you can until it meets the ice plug, then force air into the smaller line to melt the plug. I used my compressor and air nozzle. It takes patience but will clear it relatively fast. Something else you might check: is your freezer keeping the food frozen on the top shelf of the freezer? There is a fan in the freezer that circulates the cold air to the top of the freezer. My fan harness worked its way loose twice before I secured it with a zip tie. Good luck.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Thanks for all the replies. Ill move all the stuff down to my deep freeze and let it thaw out and see if that will do the trick. Ill report back soon!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Well good news. Seemed my line was frozen. I pulled everything out of it and turned it off and in about 20 minutes it ran like new. Wish I wouldn’t have pulled everything since it went so fast. I’m going to give it a couple more hours incase it’s still a little frozen. Hopefully it won’t freeze up again right away!

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I got an extra hundred bucks to burn since I fixed it my self.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.