Sonar Options

• tmackenthun
    Webster, MN

I know this may be a tired subject, but looking for some feedback before moving ahead. I currently run a X15-MT on my pro v with an older Eagle Ultra on the bow. I would like to swap out the current set-up primarily for two reasons; 1) Run a flasher on the bow and 2) I am on my second X15 and have had issues with readings around 30′ (tested ducer, power, etc.) and would like to widen my GPS and LCD reading as I currently split the screen. Has anyone else had issues with their X15 (mine is a combo)?

Contemplating moving to Vex FL-18 flasher, Lowrance Global 4800 and either Vex Edge LCD or Lowrance X135. Of course the edge is $300 more. For those running the Edge, has the less power or pixel count vs. the X135 caused any problems? Assuming the dual frequency on the Edge is nice.

Appreciate thoughts, advice, etc.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Two things Terry. There is a software upgrade (free) at http://www.lowrance.com that should fix your issue. The other is to check out the Bargain Posts on this site. I think I saw a discount that Wade is running for the Edge.

Other than that Info….I know nothing!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Hi tmack,

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Lowrance 4800 paired up with the X135. I recently purchased the Lowrance 4800 with the new Navionics Premium chip. Sweet unit under $400 bucks. Heck I paid that much for my first hand held GPS! After using the Navionics chip this season, I really don’t know how I ever got by without one. Especially on Mille Lacs where I fish most of the summer.

I have run the Vexilar Edge for the last 3 seasons. I really like the unit. It does a super job at marking fish and showing changes in bottom hardness. Very simple operation with all of the control functions on the face of the unit. No need to scroll into a sub-menu to change a setting. It is still the only unit out there that runs 2 separate transducers, on 2 separate frequencies simultaneously. IMHO > The Edge blew everything out of the water for the last few years. With that said, I have had the opportunity to see some of the new color graphs in action and I’m impressed. Given the choice to drop $700 bucks (or more) on a new unit, I’d be looking at one of the Lowrance or Garmin color graphs. I think the Vexilar Edge is a little over priced right now. If they were selling in the mid to upper $400 range, I think people would be snapping them up! I hope Vexilar has an updated version of the Edge in the works. (Like a color version) But I have not heard anything along those lines.

Just my 2 cent worth…..

plasticman
    Dubuque, IA

I just talked to Pat at Vex last week to see if there was a color unit in the makeing. Not to his knowledge. What a shame. with there service dept. and a color unit,there would be some real competition to Lowrance. I to have used the Edge. Jon describes it verry well.

tmackenthun
    Webster, MN

Thanks Jon, appreciate the views. I was leaning towards the Edge, but was also concerned about the price given what Lowrance and Garmin are offering in the $400-$600 category. The beauty of the Edge was running my FL-18 too without conflicting frequencies. Decisions…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.