True story

• TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

My wife and I fish bass pretty much every weekend. I have been trying for the past year and a half or so, to try a top water. Finally over the 4th, she agreed. On her second cast, I heard a big explosion, and then my wife scream. I turned to look and saw her rod bent almost to the breaking point, and her eyes as big a dinner plates.

Well last Friday morning, as I am sitting at work, I get an e-mail from the misses, asking if I wanted to go do some more top water bassin. Like she had to ask. Anyways, I agreed. After work, went home picked up the little lady and the boat and headed out. Began throwing about 5:30, and imedietly, starting get slammed. Although never actually getting the hook set. About 9:00, we agreed that we would each cast 3 more times and then call it a night. Well, during the course of the evening, on every cast I made to this one location, and began a slow, but not real slow retreive, I would have one swing and miss my lure every time. It was making me crazy to say the least. Finally on the last cast of the night, I slowed the retreive even more, and finally got it to latch on.
    After about a 10 minute battle, it finally surfaced. And if you thought the dinner plate eyes from earlier in this story were something, you should have seen the look on her face this time. As she is getting the net ready, what appears with it’s head sticking out of the water, and mouth WIDE open? A snapping turtle that one wasn’t going to fit into the net I had along, and as my wife so elequently put it. “That F@#$@ thing ain’t coming in this boat”, (She is scared of the snapping turtles) and promptly wanted to cut my line. At that moment the big snapper spit out what was left of the lure. I think I will have to built a trophy case of busted up lures. Morale of the story. Bring a bigger net!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Great story. I once caught a snapper on a Zara Spook.

Gator Hunter

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

Gator, I have been doing a lot of reading, and everything I read, mentions the Zara. I finally went and purchased one. On the package it says “Weedless” Unless I am crazy, the only way this thing is weedless, is to either keep it in the tackle box, or throw it into the middle of the lake. What is the proper technique for fishing the Zara spook?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I use it to walk the dog on the weed edges. It is in no way a weedless lure. My favorite color is blue/chrome.

Gator Hunter

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Zaras are AWESOME! I use the Puppy size a lot for finesse situations on Smallies with light line(deadly )
    My favorite is shore minnow/glitter…Watch out! Musky and Pike love to explode em!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

A few years back I was fishing Muskies on Cedar (near Sumerset, WI) and was throwing my favorite Reef Hawg. I got the classic “it just stopped” hit, and then the beast slowly started swimming around under the boat. I had visions of a 50++++ in my mind. I finally gained some line and got him up to the top where I saw I had snagged a big snapper in the side of the neck. The turtle was VERY unhappy with me. Fortunatley I had filed the barbs down on the hooks so I was able to get it unhooked. Nothing like wrestling with a dinosaur and a bunch of 5/0 treble hooks.

Rootski

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.