Busted

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’ve bounced, and worked plenty of security to know i could take 5 or 6 out b4 possibly getting a blemish. B.C. is usually fishing w/me, so i have backup

I say go for the knockout

But I can understand your views, cause i’m 24yrs old don’t have the families you guys do.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

I have your back…

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

My buddy once cut off a stringer of illiegal smallies. The people were down river, but we scramed outta there.

jhalfen

Here we go again….this time an illegal overharvest of sunfish in MN. The press release is from the MN NDR website which also features a photo of the siezed fish:
    MN DNR sunfish bust website

Michigan poachers pay fine and restitution exceeding $5,000 – Officers seize 438 sunfish (2004-07-09)

When Bruce Pfalzgraff, a conservation officer with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR), ran a registration check of a Michigan vehicle near a lake in west central Minnesota recently, he suspected something was fishy.

Those suspicions were confirmed after reviewing a Turn-In-Poacher report from June 2002. At that time, a group of Michigan anglers were suspected of an overlimit of sunfish. However, they had left Minnesota before the officer could confirm it. This time Pfalzgraff was luckier.

“I observed a pickup with a Michigan license plate on the east access of Dead Lake in Otter Tail County when I ran a registration check,” Pfalzgraff said. “It revealed the owner was part of the group of Michigan anglers from two years earlier and he was back in the area.”

The veteran officer from Pelican Rapids followed the vehicle to a motel in Battle Lake where he and Conservation Officer Tom Campbell of Henning kept the anglers under surveillance for a week. They then confronted the owner of the vehicle and his friend who later admitted they were among four people who had fish stored in a refrigerator/freezer in a shed at the motel.

A fifth person had refrained from angling due to poor health. Minnesota conservation officers recovered 438 sunfish. That’s 338 sunfish over the legal limit.

Wayne T. Allen, 73, Plainwell, Mich.; Raymond J. Otten, 79, Gobles, Mich.; Barbara E. Verploegh, 75, Parchment, Mich.; and Betty J. Allen, 68, Galesburg, Mich., were each charged with taking/possession of 84.5 sunfish over the limit. Twenty is the sunfish possession limit in Minnesota. Wayne Allen, Betty Allen and Barbara Verploegh were also charged with angling with an extra line. The group paid $5,098 in fines and restitution.

“This is one of the worst cases of catching and keeping an overlimit of fish I’ve seen in the 24 years I’ve been with the DNR,” said Pfalzgraff.

“This is a real loss for the people who enjoy fishing Otter Tail County lakes,” said Chief Conservation Officer Mike Hamm.

“These community fishing waters provide anglers a close-to-home place to fish. It’s vital that people obey the rules so there’s plenty of fish for everyone to catch. This situation shows that people are watching violators at these waters and that DNR Conservation Officers take these cases seriously,” Hamm said.

“Also, there are some pretty hefty fines and restitution associated with not obeying the rules.”

Those who see possible fishing violations in Minnesota are encouraged to call the Turn-In-Poachers hotline at 1-800-652-9093.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Now just imagine the fun of cleaning a kazillion blue gills or white bass for that matter….. Now that’s livin’ the low life(insert LOSERS!) Or the smell from the trunk of that car in Lino Lakes that was busted this spring with over 115 walleyes. Really makes you wonder as you troll along….
    On a more positive note, I’m impressed with the anglers and observers that are beginning to gain the brevity to take these resource hogs to justice! Tight lines……… ezhook

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.