Curious (Mayflies)

• TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

This is mainly for my on curiosity, but how does the Mayfly hatch affect the fishing on the river,if at all? I know that last year, I was out around that time, and I don’t think I could have caught a fish with a net, even though my fish TV was black with fish.

futPWTure77
    Zumbrota, MN

I don’t know about the river, but on Lake Vermilion the fishing always slows way down for about 2 weeks surrounding the mayfly hatch. Thanks

Tony

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Generally a good mayfly hatch can affect the bite for almost all spicies of fish. I fish the mississippi quite regularly, and have been unsucessful on outings where a hatch is apparent. Only thing I could catch bass on is a buzz bait or top water. I wouldn’t say the river (the areas that I fish) have really had a “good” hatch this year.

AdamJohnson
    Brainerd, MN.

Typically, you don’t have as much of a mayfly hatch in river systems as you do in lakes. Mayfly larvae like little current and do not do as well in rivers with moderate to heavy current. For this reason, the “bite” stays pretty stable in rivers during a mayfly hatch.

On the flip side, there are numerous insects that do like rivers and can have an impact on the fishing. Stoneflies and in some cases caddisflies can have large hatches that can affect the fishing, but at least in Minnesota, it is rare.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Adam,

I don’t think you have ever seen a “good hatch” on the Miss. It is not folklore that raods and bridges have had to be plowed before. If that is not a good hatch I’d like to hear what would be!

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

That was about the funniest thing I ever read. We took a picture of them last Saturday. They were so think you had to cover your face to keep them from getting on your eyes.
    jc

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I’m kinda in agreement w/JC and Blue….the MISS has horrible mayfly hatches…

THAT IS AN AWESOME PICTURE….I bet cleaning the triton was fun that day!!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

We cleaned the Triton when the tach hit 6000rpm. Now that’s a pressure wash!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Geez….I thought it was bad HERE!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.