Barometric Pressure Graph Interpretation

• kwp
    Eden Prairie

In response to James’ recent post regarding Barametric Pressure and fishing during the peak times I put togther a recent chart and labeled what I thought might be key times to target.

I understand you want to target a “falling barametric pressure” before a front. But when looking at this recent graph there are may times this is true.

So my question is when would be the peak or best times/days to target based on the letters which represent a time period?? Also, how does one really interpret the graph as it relates to a feeding window for fish??

I would interpret the “D” as the best period to fish followed by “C”; although the slope of the curve is greater in “C” so that might be the best time?? What about “B” when it just starts to drop?? Or even “E” before a big rise in pressure??

Wonder if someone could help me understand the peak fish feeding periods (assuming when they will be most active)? Not that we can always go during peak periods but it sure would be nice to know dates/times to spend time on the water if time allows.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

All I know is I try to get out before the front moves in. Seems like some fish gill/perch bite best on the begging of the event. Then taper off as the front moves overhead and pressure gets near it’s valley. While eyes and crappies seem the bite well through and peak as the front bottoms out. Not sure why but those seem to hold true from my past.

bioguy

In my mind C would be best, as dropping pressure indicates the approach of a front and this change stimulates feeding activity. This is just my thought process but also interested in others opinions.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’d want to be out before B. Swear those fish know when a big system is coming in and will start to chew before the pressure really has had time to take effect. Also when those winds change, which isnt represented in the figures can be a game changer, good or bad. Open water speaking of course.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.