Line Stretch

• riverfan
    MN

This is a very interesting article that a friend in Canada sent to me. It’s pointed at saltwater fishing but I keep thinking about all the long-line techniques used in our area. http://www.shallowwaterangler.com/features/line_stretch/ There is a table of the line stretch numbers that I’m trying to figure out how to attach.

drm

good article—

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Interesting info. I mainly use Fusion. Interesting to see that the line gets stronger when wet.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

All the lines listed got stronger when wet except for one (yozuri) and that line diminished only slightly.

riverfan
    MN

I’m not sure if that’s what the experiment shows. most of the lines stretched further wet before they broke. That may not equate to strength. I assume it would equate to more shock absorbency when fighting a fish.

fireflick
    Alma WI

Speaking of line stretch. During the MWC spring valley tournament Jon Jordan and I started playing with knot strengths and how they relate to when they break. It was interesting to see how the same line would hold up when different knots where tied. In fact, the knot that I tied on 8lb test held to almost 11 or 12 lbs before the line broke. When tied with a different knot the line would break at the knot at 4 lbs. of pressure. If you ever get bored in a hotel room bring some line along and play with it once. It will be surprised in your findings.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The article and data provided focused on line stretch. They did not go into any detail about the knot used or where the line actually broke when it was stretched to it’s limit.

I have personally done several hundred (Possibly a thousand or more) line strength/knot strength break tests. I’m always open to learning a new knot!

I had settled into tying the Trilene knot (or Improved clinch – single loop) whenever tying mono to a jig. But after running Fireflicks knot through the ringer, it’s hand down the strongest, easiest knot out there. ( I think grampa Flick get the credit for handing this one on down.) What knot is that you ask? It’s the simple old clinch knot.

See link: It’s called a halfblood knot here, but this is the ticket!

Clinch Knot

This knot is consistently 30 – 40 % stronger than any knot I have tested tying Mono to a jig. (Key there mono to a jig – I use different knots for other applications) Give it a try and if anyone finds a better, stronger, easier to tie knot, I’d be willing to give ‘er a try!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I use the polymar knot on mono and have had great results. I stretch the line too much when using the Clinch. How did the Poly knot hold up on mono in your testing Jon?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

How did the Poly knot hold up on mono in your testing Jon?

I’d give it a fair rating. Not the greatest knot and it’s a pain in the rear to tie.

-J.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Its the easiest and quickest for me to tie, thats primarly why I use it the most. I have also found that an over hand loop knot works well for slip bobber fishing jigs. It gives a jig more action when rolling the waves.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I like the polimar knot also, but I’m gonna give this one a try. Derek, I haven’t experimented with knots as much as Jon but I think there is a reason he used to go by “bad finger”. This may explain why the polimar knot gives him trouble.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here is how I conduct my knot strength tests:

Take about a 6 foot piece of line. Tie your knot to the jig. Loop the other end of the line around an object that will not damage the line. (Like a piece of wood, PVC or even a tennis shoe) Now with the line secured, loop the hook of the jig over the end of a hand scale and pull slow and steady until the line or knot breaks. Watch the poundage on the handscale carefully and note the poundage at breakage. Repeat each test 2-3 times and the results should be consistent. If one test is remarkably high or low, toss that result out and repeat.

Line strength tests are similar, but instead of using a knot on the scale end, simply wrap the line around the handscale 15-20 times.

Typically, I will verify the line strength. Let say I have some 8 lb mono that has consistently broke at 9.5 pounds over 5 tests. Then I’ll switch over to the knot strength tests. Most fishing knots will break at a lower poundage than the line. (Meaning the line will snap at or in the knot) Most knots break at a lower poundage than the line. And some knots really suck! (The Improved Trilene or double loop improved clinch) is one of the worst knots out there)

Test it out. Most times the clinch knot will be as strong as the line. Meaning the line will break before the knot snaps.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.