Odd looking boat in the St Croix

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If you’ve wonder what this boat (?) is doing…here’s more info than you wanted to know!

SC 1342. In 1977 Richard Lindsay of St. Paul, MN, an enterprising young man unafraid of hard work, spotted the remains of SC 1342 on the Wisconsin side of the St. Croix River. She had been towed there from New Orleans several years before, stripped of everything of value including her pilot house and deck planking, and abandoned. There, for over a decade she remained, half sunk in the mud. In December 1977 Lindsay purchased salvage rights and hauled her out of the ice up onto a hill where he and a neighbor, Brian Larson, worked in their spare time repairing the hull and making it re-floatable. After two years she was re-launched in the nearby Mississippi and “Rick” has lived aboard ever since, making improvements with Brian’s help until today, although a lot of work remains, parts of the vessel are looking quite respectable.

SC-1342

Built at Rice Bros., Rockport, Tex. Keel laid 10/21/42. Launched 1/16/43. Commissioned 8/9/43. Disposed of 7/3/46.

Commissioned SC-1342, 9 August 1943; Decommissioned, (date unknown); Disposed of 3 July 1946; Struck from the Naval Register, (date unknown); Found abandoned in December 1977 on the St. Croix River in Wisconsin by Richard Lindsay of St. Paul, MN and salvaged; SC-1342 has been fully restored.

Specifications: Displacement 98 t; Length 110′ 10″; Beam 17′ 11″; Max. Draft 6′ 6″(fl); Speed 15.6 or 21k; Complement three Officers 24 Enlisted; Armament one Single 3″/50 or one Single 40mm Bofor Gun Mount, one or two twin mount .50 cal. machine gun(s), two or three dcp “K Guns”, 14 Depth Charges with six single release chocks, two sets MK20 Mousetrap rails with four 7.2 projectiles; Propulsion, two General Motors 8-268A, 1440hp or two General Motors 16-184A “pancake” engines; Endurance 1500nm @ 12kts.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

That is WAY !! Cool !!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

This boat was on the Croix? I know the picture is taken in front of the old NSP island plant, about a 1000 ft from where I work. Interesting, in fact I have wondered about the origins. Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The first time I came across this “splinter hull” was this spring on P2, close to the Lillydale landing. It seemed to be sitting so low in the water that it was resting on the bottom of the river. To my surprise, when fishing the Prescott area a month or so later, it was anchor across from the Prescott City landing, then moved to the area where it’s anchored now. This is just into the St Croix.
    It reminds me of the haunted vessles in the Johnny Quest tv show…now that dates me doesn’t it!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Johnny Quest ? Now your dating yourself

stuart
    Mn.

thats pretty cool Briank.Speaking of jhonny quest,i had an english setter that i named Hadji,so Im old as dirt also

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have been wondering about that for a while. How long is that “thing” going to be anchored in Prescott?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Brian,

I know you have problems catching big cats, but depth charges seems a bit extreme to me.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Whatever it takes man…whatever it takes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.