Favorite Summer Walleye Presentations

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Well, it’s July and I suppose the walleye have moved into their summer homes at this point. Time to change tactics? What’s your favorite summer walleye presentations?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I get a lot of enjoyment catching ‘eyes on my hand tied spinner rigs paired up with a crawler freshly picked out of my own back yard! Now that’s fish’n!

-J.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Agreed on spinners!!!

Especially when the bite is hot and your cruising the flats with them!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Dragging itty-bitty jigs on shallow sand tipped with livebait on the Mississippi or casting cranks to the faces of wingdams.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey James!!!

When are you going to share those “itty-bitty” jigs with the rest of us???? Have your decided to market yet???

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

John & Gary – I have not pulled that many spinners . I fish the pond a lot, is there a certain speed you like to go with or at least start out with ???? Just trying to further my knowledge of that “elusive” fish (seems to be this year at least, my numbers are way down this year compared to the last few ) Any info or tips on pulling spinners that you wish to sahre would be appreciated. Thanks again! PM or email them if you wish!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Right about 1.0 to 1.3 mph is a good overall running speed.

I use both bottom bouncers and 3-way/bell sinker rigs. A good rule of thumb for weight is one ounce up to 10 feet deep, two ounces for 11-20 feet, three ounces 21-30 feet. While trolling, try to keep the angle of your line at about a 45-60 degree angle going into the water. If that angle is more than 60 degrees, you need to slow down or add weight.

Hope that helps.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks to James my favorite summer tactic is beating the heck out wing dams with cranks which I am doing tonight.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

John nailed it down pretty good.

What I do prefer (which I don’t know if it makes a difference or not……….but works for me) is to connect the bell sinker to the line. Then I run an 8 foot spinner. This is for the mud. The reason I like this, is because I can run the sinker “above” the fish, with this long of a spinner. I also use flourocarbon line. With this setup, the spinner runs about a 1.5 feet “below” the sinker. Again, I don’t know if keeping the sinker out of the “fish zone” makes a difference or not, but it is a psychological/confidence thing to me.

I know alot of people on the pond run a 3-way, with a dropper for the sinker. Some like it, but I don’t see a need to have the sinker a foot below the running line. That is the “zone” your bait is in and the “zone” the fish is in………

By the way, when I mark any fish on the graph, with this set up, I have the sinker running 2 to 3 feet off the bottom. That runs my bait about 6″ to 1.5′ off the bottom.

I’m no master at this, but it works for me. Especially if the fish are hot, running a crawler harness, I will place the rod in the rod holder and to to town cruising the flats. Mostly working the edges of the flat…….either 20 feet in to 10 feet out.

I do remember slamming my buddy one afternoon with this tactic. He chose to go “counter-clockwise” around the flat we were working. He was riding the “edge” of the flat real well. This put me just on the inside of the flat edge. I caught 5 fish to his 1 fish on the average for the day.

Also, I know the “go to” colors out there are red beads and gold blade………..But I prefer the yellow beads and yellow/orange striped blade for sunny days, with a crawler!!!

Again, it is all confidence…….

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I love pulling blades in the summer. I like the three way rig v.s a bottom bouncer. My best producer on Mille lacs is a #3 or #5 Colorado deep cupped in the hammered silver with green beads and a arbordeen minnow hook rigged with a fathead or rainbow minnow.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well…

We really haven’t decided what we’re going to do with those little gems. On one hand, people would love them. On the other, it’s nice to be the only guy with that tool in their toolbox… lol

Quote:

Hey James!!!

When are you going to share those “itty-bitty” jigs with the rest of us???? Have your decided to market yet???

fireflick
    Alma WI

Live bait on Wingdams of lower pool 4 or pool 5. Can’t beat the cranks too.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

James, good sir…………

you are not nice!!!!!!!!

I’ll make you a deal………..you send me some of those “jems” and I’ll shut up!!!!!!!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks for the info guys. I love this site. I just need to keep learning. Just started to fish serious eyes a few years ago and I’m hooked Thanks again!

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

At normal water levels dragging jigs and trolling rip rap are my favs .

Gary, you keep your hands of James’s gems……

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Easy there, Mr. Regal Eagle, $2 a case pilsner lover…………..

Should of known that was coming…………ouch!!!

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Easy there, Mr. Regal Eagle, $2 a case pilsner lover…………..

$2 a case? Hook me up

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I like the crawler harnesses as well, and also like to troll the main channel edge with cranks when the water slows to a summer snails pace. Of course, when the fish are on top of the wings, ya can’t beat the fun of casting cranks and hammerin’ ’em!
    John

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.