Choice of Kickers

• nubbinbuck

Hey Guys,

How bout ranking, in order, your top 3 choices for kickers. Yes, I know all the virtues of the T-8’s. More interested in knowing what the next 2 choices would be. If Suzuki’s kickers are as smooth as their big engines, I would think that is a logical choice.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My first choice was based on matching the main outboard. Mostly for appearance. I’m not sure there’s a bad kicker out there but I’m sure those with more experience will have some recommendations.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

9.9 Merc Bigfoot is what I plan to purchase, like Suzuki said though, mostly to match main outboard. I have listened to Yammys and Zukys on the water and they are both impressive. I have a 8 horse 2 stroke Merc now, and it works just fine, but a little underpowered for my boat.
    Rooster

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I know a handfull of guys that use the 9.9 and 15hsp 4-stroke Merc’s and love them…Make sure you get a strap to keep the motor from bouncing around while in route on the river or lake, otherwise she’ll be all bent up and broken off in no time…Another great investment would be to get panther steering and lift…$$$$…but worth every penny…and one more thing to consider is the troll master for complete control of the speed of your motor..here is a link to their web site Troll Master Home Page

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yup… do all that and you got yourself a T8. Merc kickers are the reason I went from being a diehard merc guy to loving my yammies.

But seriously, if you do go merc I would suggest the panther lift. Take a quick look at how the tilt assembly is designed to hold the motor in the “up” position. There’s one relatively small threaded bolt coming out at a 90′ angle from the side of the swivel tube that is designed to hold the weight of the motor.

My understanding is that merc has been working on a T8 style kicker with trim/tilt, electric start and hi-thrust lower unit. I know this has been in the works for the last couple seasons and I have not heard of a release date… if there is to be one.

I might give Destry Foyte at LaCannes Marine a call and see what he knows, if anything.

Quote:

I know a handfull of guys that use the 9.9 and 15hsp 4-stroke Merc’s and love them…Make sure you get a strap to keep the motor from bouncing around while in route on the river or lake, otherwise she’ll be all bent up and broken off in no time…Another great investment would be to get panther steering and lift…$$$$…but worth every penny…and one more thing to consider is the troll master for complete control of the speed of your motor..here is a link to their web site Troll Master Home Page

Val
    Lonsdale, MN

If you guys are intereste in a power lift for kickers, I have an almost new Garelick hydro lift for up to 25hp.

They are very well built, Cabelas sells them for $ 1,100 I can sell it for $ 395

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Evinrude is also suppose to be coming out with a kicker motor with built in power trim and tilt, high thrust and electric start. From what I have heard it should be a great little kicker.
    Thanks, Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.