How to Prevent Sunnies from Swallowing Hooks?

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

My friend asked me how he could keep small sunnies from swallowing the hook when he takes his young kids out fishing. I use to have this problem too when I took my niece and nephew out but I found that I could prevent this problem by using small Flu Flu like jigs. It seems the feathers prevent the fish from swallowing the waxie or worm and most all the fish are lip hooked. Has anyone else found this to be true? Any other tricks?

Thanks,

Boone

Weasel
    WI,Onalaska

use long shank hooks they seem to help some

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I rarely find hooks with the shank length I prefer. I got some old hooks from my grandad and those rock over anything else I’ve found in the last year. Long shanks are the ticket if you can get them long enough.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

I have this problem when my wife fishes sun fish. She enjoys watching the bobber go way down before she sets the hook. I found using a 1/6 or 1/8 ounce jig head works well. No needing split shot, and the jig head itself gives you something to grab onto while removing. Less line cutting and more time for fishing.

scottsteil
    Central MN

As someone said earlier, use something with a jig head on it, similar to a Flu-Flu. Gills tend not to swallow jigs as bad as a plain hook. If you usually fish with a plain hook and live bait, you can bet you are going to have some that swallow your bait big time.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

If you are bobber fishing small circle hooks are the ticket. The sunnies will hook themselves form the bouyancy of the bobber. Right in the corner of the mouth every time. You get a great bite to fish ratio too.

Gator Hunter

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I use the Gananatsu (SP????) long shank hook, that can be found fairly easily.

yoda840
    Western North Carolina

1. Cut some small round disk’s from thin plastic – milk jug maybe …..
    2. make them about 1/2′ diameter ….
    3. with an ice pick or small nail make a hole in the center …..heat the ice pick with a candle to make it easier ….
    4.push the hook/barb through the hole and up to the eye of the hook …
    5.remove fish with ease.
    6. filet cook and enjoy.
    barry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.