PLANER BOARD QUESTION

northern illinois

Ive been using the off-shore planer boards while trolling for walleye for the past year. Seems that I loose alot of fish while un-snapping the board from the line. The directions read this is how its done but it seems that it would be easier if the board would come off after the hookset. I use 10# Fireline and usually fish alone. Im sure a second set of hands would help but I cant always wait for that. With so many experienced anglers on this site, I’m hoping some of you will let me know what I’m doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

I too use the Off-Shore brand of planer boards. I have lost fish on the disconnect but I can’t say it has been alot. I use them primarily for crankbaits, or an occasional crawler harness(multiple hooks). I always make sure that the hooks on my cranks are super sharp, typically the factory ones don’t get it done for me, so Owner or Gamagatsu are switched out to fit the bill. I use 10lb Berkly XL, and one thing that I have noticed when I remove the board, with mono (anywhere from 60-180 ft.) you get a little stretch when the fish is pumping, kind of cushioning the head-shakes and runs that the fish is making. Normally the rod’s action handles those fish movements. I fully endorse the use of super lines (Power-Pro), in fact I use the 2/10 on my inside rods not attatched to the boards.

The other thing I don’t do, unless I know the fish is massive, is stop the boat. I imagine with one line out the habit is to throw the motor in neutral. I usually have multiple lines out, so I don’t even slow down. I also will wait when I see a board go off, sometimes until the board has been pulled straight behind the boat.

Your other option would be investing in a boom and some double boards. In combination with the proper weight release clip this system is far more efficient than the clip on style. The best part is after a fish, you just grab another clip and send it out. The boards never have to come out of the water.

With the limited stretch of the Fireline it is quite possible your fish are shaking the hooks, or depending on how big they are, tearing them out.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I do A LOT of planer board fishing and rarely do I lose a fish while taking the board off. When a fish is lost it is usually because some slack was created in the line at the time the board was removed.

A couple suggestions I would have if you are fishing alone:
    1) Use mono line, it stretches more and will help keep tension on the fish.

2) Use shorter trolling rods they are more manageable

3) Make sure you keep the boat moving forward.

If you do any or all of these you will decrease the number of fish you lose while removing the board.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

hatchetman,

This has happened to me before when trying to detach a planer board with a fish on the other end!
    One thing I like to do while solo is to keep the motor in gear at a slow trolling speed when the board gets close to the boat. This will provide some forward movement to make up for any slack line misfortunes are natural to happen by your self. As you get better at this, you will be able to detach the board with one hand. This will become a very quick and effortless action. For many reasons I like to run the Orange (Walleye Boards) because they detach very quickly.

Hope this helps you a bit.

eye verson
    Mantorville, MN

I’ve been playing with boards off and on the last two years and went through a similar experience. I have gone to longer rods 8.5 foot + and put a big bend on the rod while maintaining some trolling speed with my kicker and snap the boards off with my left hand allowing the kicker and the flex in the rod to keep tension on the fish. I don’t know if this is text book but it has been working very well for me the last couple years since discovering the method.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

eye verson,

Like Scott, I spend an exceptional amount of time on the water pulling boards each year and all I can say is whatever method you find works well for you, go with it!
    Everyone has there little tricks and tips to get the job done. I use the long 10’6″ Wild River Rods by St. Croix for most all my board pulling. This is a very long rod, but its amazing how quick an angler can adapt to this length in the boat. I do the same thing as you do, pinch the board off with one hand and hold the rod slightly loaded up as I detach the board and keep that kicker in gear until you get the board off.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

I would suggest that you travel with the wind also so you minimize tangles until one gets the hang of it.

A side note…Trolling boards should be called Trolling Bored….yawn

I run a line cutter on my bow to cut them off (just kidding)

thanisch

I only spent one afternoon with a Mr. Walleye board that I just bought but I thought part of the point with some of these boards was that you could do a hard hook set and release the board out of the snap. At which point you have to still fight the board as it makes it way back to the fish but at least it’s not trying to plane out on you. Am I missing something?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.