November Pro Staff Giveaway – Early Ice Panfish

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Throughout this winter, In-Depth Outdoors will be doing a monthly giveaway of tackle, rods, reels or other fishing related goodies related to a specific pattern or bite. One of our Pro Staff will pick the gear and share some tips on how to put the gear to proper use so the lucky winner can hit the water outfitted and ready to catch fish!

November’s theme is “First Ice Panfish.”

Here’s the link to enter the gear giveaway >>> ” target=”_blank”>http://statictab.com/fs5i6rr

Joel Nelson will be sharing some basics on how to catch bull gills and big crappies as soon as the ice is safe enough to walk-on.

Presentation Basics – First Ice Panfish Tactics by Joel Nelson

• Line: Suffix Ice Magic Clear 3lb, 4lb, and 6lb test, 100 yd spools (603-003, 603-004, 603-006)
    • Lures:
    • VMC Pug Bug Jig, 1/16 oz. and 1/32 oz. – Glow Red, Pink Chartreuse Glow, Crappie Minnow (PBJ116PCGL, PBJ116GLRD, PBJ132GLRD, PBJ132PCGL, PBJ132CRPM, PBJ116CRPM)
    • VMC Wax Tail Jig, 1/50 oz. and 1/32 oz. – Glow Red, Pink Chartreuse Glow, Crappie Minnow (WTJ150GLRD, WTJ150PCGL, WTJ150CRPM, WTJ132CRPM, WTJ132GLRD, WTJ132PCGL)
    • VMC Flash Champ Spoon, 1/32 oz. – Glow Red Shiner, Perch, Shiner (FCS132GRSH, FCS132P, FCS132SH)
    • VMC Rattle Spoon, 1/16 oz. – Glow Red Shiner (RTS116GRSH)
    • VMC Tumbler Spoon, 1/12 oz. – Glow Pink Fire UV (TMS112GPFU)
    • VMC 9650 Round Bend Trebles Sz 14 Tin Red (9650TR#14PP)
    • TriggerX Mustache Worm – 1 ½” Pink Glow (TXMW15PKG)
    • TriggerX Mustache Worm – 1 ½” Black (TXMW15BLK)
    • TriggerX Nymph 1” Bloodred (TXNY1BLRD)
    • Trigger X Spike Worm 1 ½” Bloodred (TXSPW15BLRD)
    • Accessories:4” Panfish Pliers (RPP4), 36” Adhesive Ruler (RAFR)

First-ice panfishing is probably a top-3 ice pattern and presentation for me, both in terms of fishing success and overall enjoyment. Above are a detailed list of lures, line, and accessories to pull it off without a hitch.

First ice sees one of the most aggressive panfish bites of the season, but finding the fish isn’t always easy. Your search is aided by a couple factors. First, start small.

Both in terms of the lakes you choose to fish and also in terms of the structure you’re drilling out. Select small lakes under 250 acres if you can, as the fish will be easier to find with options being limited, and these lakes freeze first and best to begin with. “U-shaped” inside- turns coming out of deeper water are magnets for panfish activity, especially when they butt up against a weedline on the shallower bend of the “U”. Underwater, these areas look like “chutes” and are funnels for feeding fish coming from deep water to shallow. This is where I first start to drill, from 20 FOW, all the way up to the weeds. Good green weed-growth, particularly of cabbage and/or coontail is preferred but not necessary to hold fish. Because you’ll likely be using an ice-chisel to check thickness, use a detailed contour map to select locations near-shore keeping your safety the highest priority. These fish typically school, so if you’re not seeing fish on your Marcum, move on. Fish aggressively and quickly, this is not the time to hunker down and wait them out!

Even though panfish are typically very active during this time of the year, big fish, especially bull-gills will still display presentation and color preferences. Rig up 3 rods; one a spoon rod like the Tuned-Up Custom Rods (TUCR) Precision, a smaller/faster jig rod like TUCR’s QuickTip with fly-reel or small spinning reel, and another light jig rod like the TUCR noodle. Spool them each with Sufix Ice Magic 6lb (spoon rod), 4lb (jig rod), and 3lb (light jig rod), respectively. The idea is to fish fast, and always have an array of rods rigged with baits that cover the full gamete of presentations that these fish will prefer.

I start with a spoon like the Flash Champ, Tumbler, or Rattle spoon, paying careful attention to hook size on these baits. Big gills will slam a bigger spoon than most people think, but the hooks need to fit in their mouths. Feel free to switch out the trebles to those VMC 9650 Round Bend Trebles in size 14 that you just won. Load them up with spikes, or thread a red TriggerX Spike worm to sit horizontal in the water column. As you jig, the spoon will be vertical, but the Spike Worm will flicker enticingly to the side. Attract fish with this setup, and mind your drag, as these offerings will also attract big bass and pike.

If fish are marked but not responding to the spoon, downsize to the jig rod and a larger Pug Bug or Waxtail. For the Pug Bug rig that mustache worm through the center. The heaviest Pug Bug fishes fast, pounds bottom well, and does a great job when the spoon will attract but can’t get them to close. If fish still will not commit, downsize with the noodle rod and fish the smallest Waxtail or Pug Bug offering.

Experiment between live bait and plastics, especially colors on the plastics. Finicky gills especially are true connoisseurs of color. Don’t be afraid to get creative with that mustache worm. Rig several in an “X” pattern to add bulk, slow the fall-rate, and show off an ant-style pattern, or rip-off one of the tentacles and fish it with the single flicker. The nymph is also a great choice to rig on the Pug Bug, especially when fishing Perch on or near the bottom.

Stay tuned to this thread, In-Depth Outdoors online (www.idofishing.com), and drop me a line. I’ll be standing by to help, so don’t hesitate to ask any questions that might come to mind!

Joel Nelson

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

A good give away just got better!

WIN A $100 PANFISH PRIZE PACK *AND* A TUNED-UP CUSTOM ROD!

JUST ADDED – The good folks at Tuned Up Custom Rods just added a Precision Noodle rod to the November Panfish Primer Pro-staff Giveaway, making the total value over $200!

Here’s the link to enter the gear giveaway >>> http://statictab.com/fs5i6rr

And for more info on that Sa-WEET Precision Noodle going to the lucky winner you’ll want to check out the Tuned Up Custom Rods site here >>> http://www.tunedupcustomrods.com/

Jmsteele187

The give away Facebook page doesn’t seem to be working. I enter my email address and it seems to just lock up. No entry form pops up.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Not a complaint! But is the site we’re directed to gonna send all kinds of unwanted “stuff” I just try to be careful when it comes to giving info out but would certainly like to enter.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Not a complaint! But is the site we’re directed to gonna send all kinds of unwanted “stuff” I just try to be careful when it comes to giving info out but would certainly like to enter.

Nope. You won’t be the recipient of a spam campaign.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

The give away Facebook page doesn’t seem to be working. I enter my email address and it seems to just lock up. No entry form pops up.

The give away has hundreds of entries already so it seems to be working for most. I had our Facebook admin send you a message to see if he couldn’t help get you squared away.

Jmsteele187

What about the non-working Facebook page?

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Same here, I tried another browser and get the same thing.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Hey guys – All you need to enter this contest is email address. Once that is submitted and you get the Pro-staff banner below, you’ve been entered for the contest!

Joel

Jmsteele187

Oh. Well I hope I didn’t screw myself by entering my email multiple times hoping an entry form would pop up.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Sweet giveaway guys! And thanks a bunch for the early ice tactics for panfish…. I should be using these tips within the week or so up here on the iron range.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think this link in the original post is miss directed. Sends me to Woobox or something like that. Looks like it wants me to start my own contest.

Link in 2nd post seems to work.

Clicking on the link I just cut and pasted from the original post above takes you to the facebook contest. Go back to the original post and that link does not.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

ahhh. Facebook contest.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Think this link in the original post is miss directed. Sends me to Woobox or something like that. Looks like it wants me to start my own contest.

Link in 2nd post seems to work.

Clicking on the link I just cut and pasted from the original post above takes you to the facebook contest. Go back to the original post and that link does not.

Yes, the second link worked. The first one took me to Woobox and that’s where I was concerned about giving info.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Oh. Well I hope I didn’t screw myself by entering my email multiple times hoping an entry form would pop up.

Same here!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.