I am hereby offended

• desperado

Going with the “if you can’t beat ’em, join ’em” strategy

So; as a pale-skinned, blonde haired, blue eyed male of northern european descent … I am hereby offended until the MN NFL team changes their name to “Scandinavian Seafarers”

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

X2

X3

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d be more offended about their performance if I were you.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

What? That they won? That Ponder looked good two games in a row? I agree…

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Calling a black–a “black” and a white –a “white” is fine? But not ….???? Heck–if I were a potato farmer I would be protesting the Moorhead High “spuds” name! LOL Turkey farmers/processors and hunters should be hurt by the use of the “Gobblers” by the Aitkin, Mn. high school. Should Ford owners/ranchers be ashamed of the use of the “Mustangs” by multiple school sports teams? Miners should be outraged that the “Blue Devils” and or the “Blue Jackets” are used by Iron Range schools for their nick names…..

Come on MANNNNN!! Change the name on behalf of the Scandinavian Mn. people of the Vikings to the “Scandinavian Sea Farers”–right on!!

LOL

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I am offended by what is on the back of the MN gophers football helmuts…

Ski-U-Mah – takes its meaning from a Sioux word to my knowledge, and that needs to go … I am surprised there have not been protests at games over it

flanders51

I am offended by all of the offense being taken. More love, less hate.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Quote:

I am offended by all of the offense being taken. More love, less hate.

I really don’t think there is any “hate” being dished out by anyone but the Native Americans here. I think everyone is just saying that what the majority of society accepts as okay or normal and fair, needs to be understood as well by the Native Americans.

In this case, not unlike any other race/group etc. being used as a nick name for a sports team, the Native Americans need to admit there is zero negative intentions/meaning to the name in question. Like any other group, they need to see the honor/respect in it…because that is what is. Does anyone actually believe the owner of any team would purposely use a term that is purposely a “racial slur” and viewed as such by the fans/majority of the public?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have to agree, the use of the name “Vikings” gives a bad name to maurading, pillaging, and sacking/burning raiders everywhere.

Quote:

Ski-U-Mah – takes its meaning from a Sioux word to my knowledge, and that needs to go …

Except that it doesn’t mean or translate to anything that makes sense in the Dakota langauge.

The common belief that “sky” is a Dakota word or exhaultation for winning or victory is not true, so the explanation that it essentially means “Win U Minn” doesn’t stand up.

Grouse

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I am hereby totally offended that all these nit-wit politicans aintz got nuttin better to do the pipe in on a team name!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

I am hereby totally offended that all these nit-wit politicans aintz got nuttin better to do the pipe in on a team name!

Well they don’t go fishing much from what I hear, so you’re probably right… They don’t have anything better to do. Except for Dayton, I heard he goes out once a year on opener…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.