Musky Baits ????

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I’ve been working some overtime and thought I would see what everyone says is there favorite bait. I’ve bought several to add to my arsenal including Sneaky Pete bucktails spinners, Phanthoms, Cobbs, Topper Stoppers,Top Raiders, Suicks, Crazy D’s Bucktails, Cisco kid topper. What is your favorite go to baits? Steve

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Steve you should add a couple Reef Hawgs, GrandMa 7 & 9 inchers, Hawg Wobblers, a Jackpot, and a couple big black spinnerbaits for the slop.
    The list goes on but some of the best guides on LOTW use only about 20 lures all season.
    This month’s issue of Musky Hunter has a good article of lure selection for your tackle box.

web page

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Has anyone ever used saltwater plugs?

I was in Destin, Fl about a week or so ago and they have a huge selection of giant baits, spinners, flashers, spoons, and plugs that are easily musky-sized. The thing is, where musky plugs up here cost between $15 and $30 each, these were all 4.99-9.99. I was seriously considering stocking up, but don’t know how airport security would like me clanging through with a dozen or so stainless trebles the size of my fist (anyone know the answer to that question?)

I think next time I’m down there, I’ll probably just stock up and check the bag at the airport if I need to.

leinieman

Thanks for the input Tom. Gianni nope never thought about salt water baits but I bet that the Muskys up here haven’t seen too many. and I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t work just fine. Steve

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

If I could carry just one lure it would be a bucktail.If you ever get the chance to pick up a Shumway Funky Chicken you should. It uses feathers instead of hair. Firetiger is the color I prefer.

leinieman

Hey SteveO, A buck tail that uses feathers instead of hair would be a chicken tail ? I don’t know if I have seen those but will keep my eye’s open. I picked up 4 new spinners Crazy D.s and a couple of Buchertails. You can check out Rons selection of baits at http://www.crazydtackle.com They have a huge selection of baits and he ties custom spinner baits with whatever blades you want and whatever colors .If you can dream it up he can build it. Thanks for the heads up on the chicken tail. Steve

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I would go with the 20 lures.

Break them down into four catagories:

1) Bucktails (black/silver, black/orange, firetiger/oranghe, white-red/silver, Purple/silver)

2) Jerks (Red Sucker Suick, Walleye Reefhawg, firetiger squirely burt, black/orage magic maker, yellow/black suick)

3) Topwater (black/red Topraider, firetiger Viper, yellow/black topwater bucktail, blue/white Jackpot, Black Doc)

4) Cranks (8″ perch Beleiver, 10″ 9 dollar bass Beleiver, 8″ firetiger Jake, 8″ Orange/black Ernie, 8″ walleye Depthraider)

These 20 lures will catch fish anytime of the year on LOTW (and problably the vast majority of other waters). They are my personal favorites. As you will notice, I didn’t label any bucktails. My personal beleif is that a bucktail is a bucktail. When they are burned @ 5mph, the fish strike because of instint. Not because it has a pretty tail or a special blade. Look for different sized blades in colorado, french, & indiana primarily for vibration from the different speeds. (Meaning you are not going to slow roll a willow blade and burning a colorado will kill your arms after a couple of hours). Sizes make a difference too. I guess I would also throw in a couple of muskie Candy and a couple of Funky Chickens too………. The Funky Chickens really work good for thicker cabbage, because you can “grind” them through the weeds without getting hung up. The Chick also has a good hooking percentage too.

The worst lure (IMHO) is the Jackpot. Very poor hooking percentage. They are fun and drive alot of hits/strikes, but almost impossible to hook up. Mainly, because the fish hit them so hard, with an open mouth, that they generally throw the lure. The top raider works good for this, because it is a faster moving bait, that seems to have better hooking percentages. Also, the topraider and topwater bucktails are GREAT search tools!!! Once you find your active fish from top water or a bucktail, go back a couple of hours later and twitch a crank through the weeds…….You should connect.

Good luck, and mostly don’t forget your jaw spreader (with rope tied to the boat, so the fish doesn’t swim off with it) (by the way, the fish will throw your jaw spreader). Good, long needle nose pliers (8″), and a HIGH QUALITY BOLT CUTTER. YES!!! You will cut your hooks. They are cheap and easy to replace, so buy some extra hooks and split rings. Cutting hooks saves these fishes lives. It also makes it much easier to release, because the bait actually falls out of the mouth without ripping!!!

Have fun and don’t let them get to ya!!!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Steve,

I’ve got a favorite bucktail that is a unique design. It’s a fairly big bucktail that is just awesome over weeds and shallow rocks. I’ve done well with it on LOTWs and elsewhere. I’m sure Ron could make one for you if you’re interested.

Take the front of the Sneaky Pete (two #8 indianas) and behind it put the double trouble tails (double tail) with really thinly tied hair and a little bit of flashabou. The tails should face the normal direction … I never did like that reverse tail stuff, though it does cast better that way. For weight, use the same bead configuration as the Sneaky Pete (those big, hollow brass beads) but put a 1/4 oz. egg under the front tail and 3/8 oz under the back tail. It’s a fantastic bait — one of my favorite bucktails and great on the figure 8.

john

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.