Making your own jigs?

• blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Was looking for a good winter time project, and thought I would maybe try to make and tie my own walleye jigs. Problem is I don’t have a single thing to do it. Was wondering if anybody could give me some information on it. I would like to make 1/4 and 1/8 oz. hair jigs. I have seen and used some patterns that I think I would like to make, and would be nice to catch fish on something I made instead of something I bought. What will I need, and where can I get it?? I am talking everything from the best place to get molds, lead, burners, hooks, the different colored hair, the string, etc……. Hope someone out there does this and can send me in the right direction. Thanks much in advance!!

AGM
    Lake City, MN

Blackduck;I just started making hair jigs last year so some of this is still fresh in my mind.There are lots of places to get the equieptment.What I do to get lead is take old tire wheel weights and melt them down on my turkey cooker in a old dutch oven.When they turn to liquid after heating you take a straining spoon and strain out all the met clamp pieces.Then ya got to get a regular metal spoon while still heating and skim the surfice zink out becuse the zink will float on top.When ya get done all ya got left is lead,then grab a cup cake tin and pour your lead into little useable pucks,be vevy sure your out side and don’t breath down wind of burner,it’s very toxic.Now you got lead for free. The best place to get molds is”www.do-itmolds.com” they got’em all or Fleetfarm,gander,cabelas,www.staminainc.com.Do-it has mostly every thing ya need but be sure to check out that http://www.staminainc.com they got a few diffrent items.As far as a lead pourer if your going to do any amount get a “Lee production pot 1v” Stamina has that $59.95.Last thing I would recomend is powder paints rather than regular dip paint they are more durable and easyer to use with less mess.You can put hair on any jig even if it’s got a skirt for plastics or live bait; all I do is cut it off with a Gate shears.This has been my personal expearance with jig making hope it helps.

JustFishin
    Wabasha, MN

Eric
    Send me an email and I can show you what it takes to make, paint, and tie your jigs. I live on the prairie. With the email we can set something up.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.