grub ?????

• engies4

Ok so this weekend we were hiking in the woods south of la crosse and ran across many of these in a 50 yard strip in the woodsfrom 1.5 inches to 3 inches long and about .5 inches thick, they were burrowing into the bank of the road. What are they?

thegun
    mn

looks like a free snack!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Think they are june bugs

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

X2

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Their Willies Pelican bugs and they have alot to do with pollination when their in the adult stage. They are one of the moths that fly mostly at night but are also seen in late afternoon. I had to try, am I right? Had to work today.

robby
    Quad Cities

Be thankful they’re not in your lawn at home. Moles and raccoons love to eat then and can destroy a lawn in their pursuit to get them. Not bad deep fried either.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Wheres Pug at when you need him Hopefully he’ll be around here soon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Believe it or not, Pug is out fishing. True Story.

Kinda looks like a June Bug grub, but it’s not.

JBG..

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I don’t know what they’re called but I have used them for trout bait with excelent results.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I didn’t think it was a June Bug grub looking from above. They have the brown head and are black/ dark blue on the rear side under the translucent white. It is impossible for me to identify from above. A side view would be more helpful.

Looking at the picture again, I think I was looking at it as if its head was on the top of the picture. Looks kind of like a June Bug grub if the head is pointed down.

Its been a while since I have seen one, but those black dots near the head look familiar for a June Bug.

They also make great panfish or any other fish bait. I caught my PB from Moore Lake bullhead with one when I was a kid.

Did you dig them up? I’ve never seen a grub above ground, I’ve always dug them up.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Easy cheesy way to tell if they are June Bug Grubs. Pick one up and if you feel the pain of them pinching you, it’s a good chance it’s a June Bug.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.