What St. Croix would you pick??

• walleye1274
    Chippewa Falls, WI

My wife got me a St. Croix Legand Elite for Fathers day. She got me the 6’6″ med fast, because it was all they had. I have always been a 7′ fan. I mainly do rigging and jigging with 6 lb fireline. Is the legand worth the extra money over the Avid. I have not used either rod before. I also see that there is an 8′ med fast available in the avid. Has anybody use the 8′ before? Any help would be great!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have a number of the 7′ Avids, and love them for rigging, and bobber fishing. The 8 footer sounds intriguing!
    Tuck

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I like a 7′ for rigging, but prefer a shorter rod for jigging.

If he is using for both-do people like using a 7′ or 8′ for jigging?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For vertical jigging an 8 foot rod would be miserable at best. For that application try to stay sub 6′ – 6′ if possible. For casting, a rod at least 6.5′ long is the way to go. My preference in rigging rods would be 7 – 7.5′ in length. All rods would be one piece rods if they were in my boat.

Finlock

I have a Legend Elite 6’6″ med-lite and I use it for both rigging and jigging. I’ll tell you what, i’ve never felt a fathead wiggle like I have with this rod.
    I would’nt exchange it until you fish with it a few times and see how sensitive the rod is first!
    Just be carefull when you have a 3/4 ounce slip sinker for rigging as the weight will just about pull the rod over the side of the boat and i’m not kidding! The rod is super light. I love mine!

crbasser
    IA

I know that you are talking about spinning rods, but I have casting rods. Don’t know if the comparison is similar, but here is my two cents worth. I have 6 avids in varying sizes and actions. I ran across a real good deal on a legend elite, and bought it. So, I have an avid and a legend elite in the same length and action. I see not a lot of difference in the two rods. I actually prefer the avid, and I definetely don’t see double the performance for double the price. If I were you I would buy two avids for the price of one legend elite, may have to kick in a few bucks. That’s my two cents worth, but like I said these are casting rods, not spinning. Although I will be getting a couple spinning rods in the near future. Hope this info helps.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

In some cases CRBasser, I agree with you 100%. Spinning rods are different though, especially if jigging is on your days agenda. This is where the Elite really stands out! Is it double the performance? No. And you can’t expect it to be. They’re only 20-30% lighter and the sensitivity increase isn’t night and day. The Avid is too good to be overshadowed. Like a Loomis IMX to GLX…… same deal. But, if you want the “extra edge”, you can get it for a price if you’re willing to pay it. I buy all my Elite’s from Ebay because they’re seldom over $200.00. For the extra $40-$60……. I don’t have any squabbles over that.

I compared a 7′ medium light Elite to an Avid on 2 different occasions and without a doubt, no question, hands down, I’d pick the Elite. But on the 6′ or 6’6″s……. I’ve been undecided between which is really better. My 6’3″ Avid…. I don’t feel any better or more confident with the Elite model so I’m content with the Avid.

Bottom line? It’s a Croix! Can’t go wrong there!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.