A Change in the air…

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

As many of you know, I have been “Without Boat” for a good period of this year. There are many reasons, and enough blame to go around for manufacturers, dealers, and myself. I have decided to remove myself from the Crestliner Pro Staff, and go back to my roots of guiding on the River and Mille Lacs. I have decided to purchase an Alumacraft Navigator from LaCannes Marine. Destry Foyte, a long time IDA supporter has worked out a great deal as they are known to do. I am running a new 2005 Evinrude 75 horse E-TEC tiller as a promotional function for Evinrude. We are going to go hard on this motor (And others shortly after.) and have an ongoing diary on the performance of this motor. Hopefully, us as consumers, will be able to use this information to our advantage at motor buying time. This will not be a sugar coated review either. Evinrude knows this. We are going to run this motor year around to see if it performs as claimed. You will hear and see the good and bad. I am looking forward to doing this, and should be able to start reporting on it around the end of July. Look for more info as we get closer to this date. I will be providing demo’s at IDA tournaments and events whenever possible.
    Tuck

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Good luck and prosperity in your decision Tuck. I look forward to your reporting and of course, seeing you on the water!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Can I be your assistant “motor beater?” What a fun deal to be able to basically be hired to try and break a motor… lol

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Well, I don’t exactly remember the word “Break” being used, but suffice it to say, we will be using this motor under all the “Normal” conditions our motors experience during the year. Like in January, February, March…LOL! The goal is to have this rig up and running for the fall full moon bite on Mille Lacs. So James, you WILL get to get ‘er out for a few spins…
    Tuck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Sounds like fun. I haven’t heard much about or seen many of the E-Tec around yet so I’ll look forward to taking her for a test run. What’s the largest E-tec they make?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I believe 90 right now, but a 200 is on the horizon. Destry will be driving one soon..They are similar to the Ficht if only that they do not smoke like other DFI motors. But I hear, that is the only comparrison that can be made. Awesome fuel economy as well. They have a specially created cowl to reduce engine noise. I am really looking forward to it.
    Tuck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

How do these E-Tec motors compare in price to a similar power 4 stroker?

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Jeez Tuck, I was just getting used to showing up on spots in Pool 3 and there was no Tuck there… I thought I had it all to myself! All kidding aside, congtrats on the new deal, and I hope we can get out together soon. Do you need to run a kicker motor with it or will it troll down slow enough? With all the stumps in Pool 3, you should have it broke in, in no time.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

From what I have seen, the E-TEC’s are priced close to the 4 strokes. The high point is you get 2 stroke power out of the hole, and Brian, I will be checking the trolling capabilities as I go. If I need a kicker, I need a kicker. Just keep my pool 3 spots warm for a little longer…
    Tuck

scottsteil
    Central MN

Tuck, there was a lot of talk about the E-TEC at the RCL Oahe. Sounds like they will be excellent trollers. I look forward to getting to try them out at the Championship. Good luck with your project.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Welcome to the E-Tec Tribe.

I think that you will be really happy with it.

When do you take delivery? If you haven’t got yours next week maybe we can go for a ride in mine?

Tomorrow I am leaving for Lake Vermilion. 4 AM Can’t wait!

I made about6 fishing trips to P city and Lake city with mine and was still running on the $15 in gas that I put in it. 3 or 4 weeks ago. The “break in” period uses a lot of oil but that’s only temperary. ( I was a little surprised by it). I’m using the sinthetic oil. Been doing a lot of trolling with the 40 horse since I had them turn the RPMs down. I love tolling since it has been so long since I was able to with that…..”non-walleye” rig that I had.

Welcome to the TEc world.

gillman
    red ming mn

like chappy said theeeeere great I bought the 40 this spring and I have nothing but good things to say. see you on pool 3

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

What about the “sound level”. One of the big plusses for the four stroke is the quiet…are the ETecs even close?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The E-TEC motors were engineered for the sound they emit if you can believe it! They had an engineering firm try a number of different sound damping processes until they came down with the right “Pitch and tone” of the motor. It is supposed to be the quietest 2 stroke out there. Clarence, I have to wait until after July 15th when the 05’s come out. They will have a new tiller handle with tilt and trim on the handle, as well as the shifter.
    Tuck

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

That will be sweet!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.