what’s the best way to get back a rod in the river

• smoke grub

well for the fourth time in my life, I dumped a rod into the river.. uggh.. I should have jumped in right after it.. but I didn’t.. we threw crankbaits and a jigging spoon for about 15 minutes.. its not that deep.. about 5 or 6 feet.. but at 56 , I didn’t feel up to diving in.. or losing my glasses or a cell phone in the process.. do magnets work? I suppose that you have to hit the object to make them work.. I am open for opinions.. and to get over the stupid feeling of dumping the rod.. actually the reel is worth more then the rod..

smoke grub

do they still make those snag hooks for salmon?

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Tie a line to a metal fish stringer the one with about six hooks that open and close. Open all hooks and drag the bottom.

riverruns
    Inactive

If you need snagging hook let me know. I got some from the old days of snagging.
    Shawn

dld24

Tie your pole to your belt loop, like how my mom used to pin my mittens to my coat…

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Drop a daredevil down current from where you dropped it and drag it along the bottom ticking the bottom in hopes you snag it?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Go find a high school kid who wants to make $50 to find a rod. My luck would be to lose $100 worth of lures in the process with no rod to show.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You would have had your best luck at 5-6′ stripping down and going in soon afterwards. If you go back you could be off be several feet even with GPS and trying to snag it isn the wrong spot.

When was the last time you lost a rod? 4 times? I think I lost one and that was because my damn nephew, not me.

desperado

best way now would be … a local dive team that needs some practice time in the river

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

Go to the store and get a new one because she is gone.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

While you are in there, look for mine! I lost one to a massive carp when I left my rod unattended to help my father-in-law tie on a hook. Just last month, I left my bottom bouncer hanging over the side of the boat while moving to another spot. When we got there, it was gone. And I had my son(who was allergic to fish, so he was wearing gloves) actually release the whole rig while casting! Good luck finding yours…..oh, and on two occasions, I actually brought in a rod & reel that someone had lost. (Not nearly as nice as the ones I lost! Why can’t the one that gets lost be a Zebco 202 on a $1.99 Walmart clearance rod? Go figure!)

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

How much current? That will determine how much of a range to cover. M-60 and drag the bottom from every angle. Per hour you can spend might be cheaper to replace.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Quote:

Go to the store and get a new one because she is gone.

Yep.

You can stop by my house tonight. I think I snagged one of your old ones in the Croix this summer. It will need quite a bit of cleaning though.

maurice

my son rigged a metal stringer to a strong cord about 30 feet long with a 6 inch wooden handle to drag the stinger with all hooks open–it works picked up two lost the same day

Aaron

Find yourself a dive a shop and see if they will just rent you a wet suit if your worried about being cold. They are usually only about 8-10 bucks to rent.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m happy to say I’ve never lost a rod.

But I’m still not over the $1000. video camera, tripod, wide angle lens and wireless mic that went in last summer.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

If the clarity allows use an underwater camera to find it and a something to snag it once its located. This has worked every time to get one back for me.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

back in the days when I was younger we took Canadian fishing trips up to lake sipiwisk in Manitoba. some of those guys taped Styrofoam around there rods. if they fell in it floated.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

brought a buddy out on the river a few weekends ago, he had never enjoyed a hot afternoon on a sand bar with drinks in hand. We set up on a very nice one with a nice backwater pool to take a dip in and was at least 20′, the scenery was great with the other boats that were down a bit from us! Well he went for a dip, came up without his glasses and the clip on sun glasses, It was a very expensive day for him. We are going to put a magnet on the end of a very long pole and see what happens. I was thinking this would make a great cat hide out, so I’m packing something to maybe give that a shot.

mojogunter

Too bad it wasn’t in the fall on pool 4 when 100’s of lines are in the water. I caught someone’s rod and reel that went overboard an hour and a half earlier in the day. Luckily for the owner he had his name on the rod, so I was able to return the rod to him. Maybe if your are lucky someone has the same thing happen and will see your post.

rwmcvean

My dad dropped the flashlight down the ice hole last winter and that thing continued to shine straight back up at the hole for the next 30 minutes from 20 feet down

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It’s worth a try with old salmon snaggers or Daredevels and an added sinker just to make sure it’s right on the bottom.

It actually is more possible than you’d think. Keep in mind, it’s about 6 feet long. As long as you can lay down a cast every 3 feet, you’ll get her.

My father is fantastic at catching fishing rods off the bottom. I saw him do it twice in 1 week at a fly-in trip one time. A party from Butterfingers County Iowa seemed to have a lot of issues with dropping stuff in and, of course, the whole crew had hit Cabelas and bought all new gear right before the trip because they don’t fish that often…

Grouse

smoke grub

I have to explain one other thing.. while this is the fourth time that I have had a rod in the river, its only the second time it didn’t come home with me. the first time.. I was in a boat that was ‘slowing” and stood up to make a cast, when the guy in the back of the boat.. “hit the gas.. and I fell, and dropped a lews speed stick and a cardinal four into 20 foot on Lake Onalaska, about 39 years ago.. the next time, the guy I was fishing with, stood next to me and hooked my rod with his and snatched the rod out of my hands.. but that was on a shallow wing dam on pool 5a.. and so 30 years ago.. I got undressed in october and jumped in and got my rod back… then about 10 years ago, my nephew did the same thing.. this time we used an “airplane jig” by northland and snagged it back into the boat from a 20 foot hole.. so far I am 2 for 4 since 1975.. but I am not done with this rod yet.. the current was light.. and its like 5 to 6 foot of water.. and I am going to buy some stringers.. I am going to try again later this week.. thanks for being there for me guys.. I can’t tell you how stupid I feel. .

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Good luck (Not sarcasm)

Let us know how it goes!

I can’t remember what show it was, maybe that loudmouth from Boston, but I was watching it and at some point they were cruising in a bass boat with an open throttle. The rods were laid on the deck, but not strapped down. They caught the wind and tumbled over into the water.

It could be worse, you could have lost 4 rods all at the same time!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.