Cheaper outboard oil??

• a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Is there any place around where I can buy outboard oil in bulk and potentially save a few bucks?? I’m looking for quicksilver, ams oil, or mercury 2stroke oil. I go through quite a bit and would like to up my order and not have to over pay up north here. Any info on where to get the best deal on bulk oil would be greatly appreciated! Also must be somewhere in MN please.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Another thing to look at is how much oil it is dumping in. Mine was way to heavy from the factory. The lines on the pump should line up at WOT. That may cut down on the oil useage also.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

WOT?? What does that mean??

I have thought it may be sucking too much oil but then agin I do drive an avg of 10+ miles a day EASY! I have considered just per mixing with my gas when I fill up in case the censor goes bad and decides to blow my motor…

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

WOT?? What does that mean??

wide open throttle

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

I know it’s not Quicksilver or Ams Oil, but I’ve been buying Mystic oil. Farm & Fleet has it for $15 a gallon

tr
    Plymouth

Recommondation

You need to consider your merc. OIl is not just oil. Many of the MFG oils for specific brands are made for a reason. Many of them have specific ingredients that are made specifically for the brand of motor. I would be very careful to just look for the CHEAP oil, this may lead you to a very expensive repair later. Just thought I would give my two cents.

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

Quote:

Recommondation

You need to consider your merc. OIl is not just oil. Many of the MFG oils for specific brands are made for a reason. Many of them have specific ingredients that are made specifically for the brand of motor. I would be very careful to just look for the CHEAP oil, this may lead you to a very expensive repair later. Just thought I would give my two cents.

x2

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

The mystic. From fleet farm is poor oil. You will see compression loss if you use that oil for long take it from experience. Good oil cost money. However if you bring your empty jugs to rapid sports they will fill them with the mercury oil for less then you can buy. Just a thought.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Recommondation

You need to consider your merc. OIl is not just oil. Many of the MFG oils for specific brands are made for a reason. Many of them have specific ingredients that are made specifically for the brand of motor.

I agree with “don’t buy cheap oil”, but I don’t buy the manufacturer-specific formulation for even a second.

Manufacturers make oil for one reason and one reason only: Because convinincing people that there’s something special about “their blend” of oil = Big $ straight to the manufacturer’s bottom line.

The TC-W3 certification for two stroke oils is a rigorous, real-life test that currently costs about $25,000 to attempt to obtain. Any oil that can pass this test is going to provide protection far in excess of the engine’s requirements.

I settled on Pennzoil XLF after asking charter captains and guides on some saltwater forums back in the day when many of these guys were still running 2 stroke engines. Many of these guys in saltwater states were putting 50, 100, or more GALLONS of 2 stroke oil through their engines in a season. By comparision, here in the Tundra, we have almost nothing by way of experience to compare with these guys.

The overwhelming recommendation at the time was for Pennzoil XLF and a comple of other semi-senthetics. Good protection, TC-W3 certified, low smoke, and cost effective. Some of the saltwater guys were hitting Wally-world when the stuff was on sale and ordering 50+ cases at a time because it was cheaper than buying drums from a bulk supplier.

You can get very good oil and excellent protection at <$20 a gallon.

Grouse

slipbobnick
    MN

wouldn’t go with just the cheapest, but seems more like your trying to get a deal on the kind you want not switching to a cheaper kind.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I settled on Pennzoil XLF…

That’s what I’ve been using for several seasons. It does smoke a bit more than Amsoil, but nothing I can’t live with.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.