Nite time bassin

• TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

I am going to do some nighttime bass fishing at some point this weekend. This will be a new experience for me, so I am looking for some pointer. I.e. type of bait to throw, lures, top water, or crankbaits. There is plenty of weed growth, and misc cover. Thanks in advance.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Ive never fished bass at night, so im guessing something that splashes, or possibly live bait (shiners).

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Fishing topwater on a clear night is awesome!!! If the moon is shining, you can usually see your lure to some degree..but normally, wait for the splash, and set the hook!!! Very good time!!

pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

Hey,
    I found that if the bass are concentrated in one area of weed beds or lilly pads try a leech and glow bobber.
    When I try night fishing this works the best.
    Good luck
    Paul

brunn
    Andover, MN

I’ve night fished quite a bit for bass and many times I’ve found that they will hit anything that produces a steady rhythm to it, like a Jitterbug, Crazy Crawler or Spook. A popper might work, too, but I don’t think its quite as effective after the sun goes down.

casygram
    DeWitt, IA

Brunn and his technique and choice of lures is right out of my past(and present). I was raised in the northeast and “pluggin” at night was the only way to fish for bass. I used to think Fred Arbogast maybe invented bassin’. 3 inch Jitterbugs, big Hula Poppers and Heddon Crazy Crawlers were always the plugs of choice and always in black. Seldom in those days did you see anyone trying to catch bass in the daytime. Maybe they all had day jobs. Also, the consensus was that largemouth hit better om moonless nights and the hotter the better. A big hit in the dark on a surface plug is guaranteed to get your heart going.

Good luck,
    Charlie `

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I use topwater presentations at night quite a bit. If it’s really dark (no city lights, no moon) it’s important to use a slow, steady, consistent retrieve. If you jerk it around eratically it’s harder for them to zero in on your bait. Spinnerbaits work well in the dark too. Have fun!

Rootski

bassguy
    MANKATO

CALM NIGHTS, I USE A #14 BOMBER LONG A OR HUSKY JERK AND SLOW TWITCH IT. I ALSO USE BIGGER PLASTIC WORMS-BLACK OR BLACK AND BLUE IF WORKING A WEEDLINE OR EDGES NEAR DEEPER WATER(5-15 FT)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.