Wisconsin boat purchase

• casey-barton

Im from Indiana. Thinking about purchasing a boat from Wisconsin. The seller states there is no title for the boat or trailer since it is less than 18ft. Is this standard because it is not in Indiana.

bigpike

I have a 16′ boat and I have a title…

bigpike

Here is a copy paste off the Do Nothing Right web sight aka DNR:

Titles

A boat title is similar to a car title. A boat title is a legal document proving ownership.
    •All motorboats 16 feet and over in length, registered in Wisconsin after 1988 will have a Certificate of Title.
    •If you are presented with a Wisconsin registration certificate, verify that the registration id number and the expiration year on the certificate matches the information on the boat’s registration decals.
    •You must submit the original Certificate of Title to complete the registration process. All person(s) whose name appears on the title must sign the title.
    •Verify there is not a lien against the boat. If a lien holder’s name appears on the title, be sure that the lien holder has signed off on the title or you receive a lien release letter from the lending company.

casey-barton

He also says in Wisconsin that since the boat and trailer weigh less than 3300 pounds you don’t have trailer plates so there is no title for the trailer either, only registrations.

castle-rock-clown

Trailers in with are iffy,but the boat being 16 foot or over must have a title. There should be hull numbers from the manufacturer and wi registration numbers on the front exterior both sides. These can be used to verify and obtain a duplicate title. Bottom line is don’t buy the boat without a clear title where all numbers jive.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

Stolen? Odd, call Wis. DNR

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Agree, Odd.

I had a title for my 16footer I sold four months ago.

Trailer rules changed and anything over 3000lbs get a license plate. Learned that this year for my trailer.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Get the manufacture hull number and trailer serial number and call the dnr or the DMV and check to see if stolen and than ask what you need to register in your state.

If I rember right when I bought a boat 18ft from Minnesota and brought it to wisconsin I only needed a title for the boat and none for the trailer since it was 3100lb than when I moved back to Minnesota they made me retitle the boat and trailer to Minnesota. Sounds bad but not really just a few $$

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

From what I understand…

The seller is kind of correct. The state of WI holds the title for boats under 16 ft. When you buy a boat and change the registration to your name, you need the bill of sale and sellers info. I can’t remember if the title is mailed to you of if the DNR makes the changes for you. It’s kind of wacky and I thought it was strange when I bought my first boat in Sconni.

As for the trailer-I’m guessing it had a title at one point, but not required in Wi until you hit the magic weight, so who knows where it wound up.

If the boat is really worth it (lots of used ones at good prices out there)a call to the DNR would be in order.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Im from Indiana. Thinking about purchasing a boat from Wisconsin. The seller states there is no title for the boat or trailer since it is less than 18ft. Is this standard because it is not in Indiana.

Proceed with EXTREME caution. Sorting out title/registration charliefoxtrots AFTER a purchase can produce HUGE problems.

Regardless of what Wisconsin does/doesn’t do, what will matter to you is what’s REQUIRED in Indiana.

I would get the Hull ID Number (HIN) from the boat and the VIN from the trailer and go to your local DMV, or wherever you go to transfer ownership of motor vehicles in IN.

Simply fill them in on the situation (ie seller in Wisconsin, etc) and ask them the questions:

1. What do I need to transfer ownership of this boat? And trailer?

2. If they say “you need a title”, ask if there are any other ways? A signed bill of sale, etc.

3. Another option is to call the Wisconsin DMV or go in to one in person and ask if the hull and trailer are titled? They should be able to give you an answer and if you give them the name of the seller, they will probably tell you “yes” or “no” to the question of if that is the name on the title.

4. Be sure you talk to the head clerk or someone who KNOWS what they are talking about. Write down their name so if the story changes later, you have the name of the person who gave the info to you.

THINGS TO BEWARE OF:

If there is a “security interest” (ie the seller took out a loan to buy the boat/trailer) listed on the title or bound to the VIN number of the registration of the boat or trailer, you CANNOT transfer ownership without a verifiable letter from the lender releasing the security interest.

No! A letter from the seller saying he promises he paid it off will not work. No! A bill of sale won’t work. No! All the little scams that others will suggest won’t work, they only leave you open to big legal trouble down the road.

Nothing will remove a security interest except a letter from the lender stating it has been paid off or following a process of verification that could take 3-6 months. If you buy a boat where there was an outstanding loan the lender could repo it from YOU and you would be hosed. Do not pass go on this type of situation, just walk away.

Sellers having their crapola together is the #1 bane of boat buying. The average seller is totally clueless about the paperwork required. I’ve been there/made the mistakes/and had to clean up the mess on these deals, so believe me it can be a real mess.

Grouse

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

In WI the DNR ,not the DMV,takes care of boat registration…..

I would call them,or go to a service center, first….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.