minnow trapping mayhem

• levibruce
    Verndale, mn

been trying super hard in the leaf river if any body has tips to catchem itd be great ive only caught crawfish , is there anything to do with crawfish?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I would think crawfish would be good for bass. I’m not sure about the laws though.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

been trying super hard in the leaf river if any body has tips to catchem itd be great ive only caught crawfish , is there anything to do with crawfish?

Clean cold water for a week and boil them up for super.

Zach H

Minnow Trapping is something that I have always wanted to get into. does anyone know of a website that has a good layout for a minnow trap to build? I would love to get into the hobby of minnow trapping. I have a few private rivers and streams I have access to and would love to take full advantage of them.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

My experience with minnow trapping has involved alot of trial and error. Lots of bum sets, and once you find good locations, they end up being good as long as the river doesn’t change in that area dramatically.

I usually have better luck seining, and even better luck yet when targeting larger minnows like chubs and suckers with hook/line. It’s amazing how small a minnow will hit a tiny ice fly with a small chunk of crawler or waxie.

As a kid I built a few traps of my own, but after looking at a few commercial style traps (that are heavy and expensive), you can see why theirs do so much better. Dog-food in fine mesh is what we tended to use for bait, but if the river is small enough I’d consider seining where legal.

Joel

Gpop

What traps do you use? There’s alot to choose from.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Years ago (like 30) used to live in a small city and we’d go out to the creek that gain water from the local waste water ponds. As it crossed the road, the water level dropped approx. 2′ from the culvert. Take lots of water with organic matter and added oxygen from the 2ft drop and all the minnows you could want. One scoop with the dip net and I’d have hundreds. I’d use a small bucket and scoop out a few dozen, dump the rest back and be on my way.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.