Aquarium Rules

• fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Do you have to have a permit to keep bass, bluegill in aquariums? I got a 55 gallon tank that id like to put some little 1 inch gills in.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

doh you’re in WI, I bet it’s in your fishing regulation book….

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I live in WI, What is that in my tank? Those must be the fish I don’t own

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Cool, thanks. I thought they would be a nice little decor to my room.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Joe,

I am not sure but I think you can if you have a bait dealers license. I know Dorn in Madtown (baitshop)has musky and bass in their aquarium. Neither is above the legal size limit.

brunn
    Andover, MN

I used to keep an aquarium and did the same thing – caught some panfish and planned to watch them get big and fat – but then I also threw in some bass and somehow, the panfish just didn’t quite make it through the next day.
    Anyway, at least in MN you don’t need a license unless you intend to start peddling the fish. Though, I’m not sure if the DNR would count those against your bag limit.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Here’s the latest edition to the tank I don’t have and the fish I don’t own.

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Here is what I found out when I wanted to keep lake fish in a tank – this is from my bait guy who has a tank and got the info from a DNR warden. You can keep any fish that doesn’t have any weigth/length limit (pan fish, ect.)or that is ever out of season – any other fish you must have a permit for (like musky, northern, walleye, bass, ect). You also have to count them in to your possession limit.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I have had native fish in the past. It more work and time than its worth. Just something to consider before getting set up.

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Quote:

I have had native fish in the past. It more work and time than its worth. Just something to consider before getting set up.

I agree with that, the tank always needed cleaning, and feeding them was starting to cost more the just buying bait to fish. Diseases are pretty common as well as fish jumping over board and fish fighting til one is dead. Did it once, would never do it again

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Personally, I would love to have a LARGE aquarium filled with game fish..(I think the laws are differant for MN)BUT, I put a brown trout in my 15(?) gallon tank once…got a call from my wife at work a couple days later…the trout jumped out of the tank and was on the living room floor and my wife wouldn’t pick it up…
    My neighbor had trout for lunch that day…

I like cabelas tanks much better than my own..less work.

Slop… have you had any problems with “ick”? (I’m talking about the tank and not your shirt… )

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Any pet needs your attention and upkeep. I strategically drop anti-algea pellets and water purifying liquids to keep the “ick” from forming.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Slop Bass,

Where did you git that Musky? That is awesome. I caught one a little smaller on a trout spinner on Wissota when I was a kid, but that is a very cool Musky.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Joe,

The picture might appear different, but i’m pretty sure it’s a baby Northern.

I was fishing a secret backwater that produces impressive panfish/Crappie/perch and BULLHEADS (for those who need bait), and i must have caught half a dozen of these little guys.

Got Northern?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

looks like a tiger muskie?

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Slop,

Oh ok, it may be a Northern, but the stripes made it look like a Musky to me. Maybe it will mature and the patterns will show different. I got about 6 little Smallies today, not even an inch long. Ill see how those hold up in my pond.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.