Ford EcoBoost

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Looking at making a vehicle change and after looking at what’s out there I’m really leaning towards a new a Ford w/ the EcoBoost BUT I’m a little leery about getting a truck with turbos so looking for any input from fellow IDOer’s. Anyone own one? What kind of milage are you seeing? Any issues/concerns with the turbo?

jkarels

Have a 2013 crewcab with Ecoboost. LOVE it really fun to drive and this comes from a GM fan. Have approx 6500 miles on mine and get 21 hwy, 15 city. I drive mine a lot in the city so it avg around 16-17. I pull a 620 ranger and it tows it like a dream. Test drive one.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Talk to Cal. He has had his for a few years.

FDR

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I’ve 12K on mine and love it. tows my MX2025 w/o a problem @ 13-14mph. 20-22 empty. The crew cab is very roomy,…no problem taking 4 guys. Last winter it didn’t start for me and they had to replace the battery. Otherwise flawless. Turn signals takes some getting used to. It doesn’t have a gas cap either. Why they fooled around with something simple tried and proven is beyond me.

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

I have almost 40k on mine and with towing and such I have a 17mpg avg since new. I do like it, its fun to drive, and pulls like a dream. If I were to get a new one though I think I would save the extra money and just get the 5.0. It will take a lot of miles to recoup the extra money for the ecoboost.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I was a little leery also so went with the Silverado. Same millage or better and get to stick with a 8. The 2013 Silverado claims up to 22mpg. 2014 is 24mpg HWY. Just barely a week on my truck so not sure yet if its hitting these claims. Pretty happy with the towing so far but today was its first trip tot he river.

Do find the concept of my 8 dropping down to a 4 while cruising interesting.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

There is a possible recall on the Eco-boost engine, the problem is high speed engine stall.
    I am still holding out, those repair costs could very high.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

2014 dodge 1500 with a diesel! Game over!

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Neighbor went with the 5.0. Skipped the Eco-boost being he keeps his trucks to 250,000 miles.

live2cast
    waukesha,wi

My buddy has a echo boost and he loves it. He towed my wx 1850 3 hours and ran it almost empty, but we were doing 75 to 80 the hole way. The truck is nice but if I’m going to tow anything 8 cylinders all the way, and not turboes doing the work. But I am a Chevy fan

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Bronzbak…get out of here! LOL I bought a 2013 Ford back in april and now have 6K on it. I opted for the 5.0 tho. Its the nicest damn vehicle iv ever driven. Very impresed and i was mostly a chevy guy.I get 18-20 0n the hwy and 15 in city.No regrets! Very roomy interior with the crewcab.

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

There is a possible recall on the Eco-boost engine, the problem is high speed engine stall.
    I am still holding out, those repair costs could very high.

My 2012 Chevy 1500 with 5.3 has a high speed stall…it cuts out at 99 mph. Damn government safetycrats.

dead-weight
    prescot wi

A truck is a truck do you really think what brand it is makes a difference there all junk if you neglect them there all the same

bigpike

I just got a smoking deal on a 2005 Silverado Quad Cab from my father in law with 82K, the thing is a dream machine with bells and whistles on top of the bells and whistles. Gas mileage – so far not too impressed, looks like I will get around 14 no matter what. I have been a Ford guy for years, just sent my ’98 down the road after 190K. All that being said i am thinking trading in on a Ford with the 5.0 as I heard it gets 20+ highway, the cost in gas between 14mpg and 20mpg at 15K per year is $1500…..Anyone getting that from the 5.0??? Not sure I trust the eco boost – and by that I mean at some point if it needs repairs, say around 100-150K, what is the cost of that going to be?

tweak

I have an ecoboost, as does my pops, a buddy, and my father in law. They have all been fabulous. Stay off the throttle and you will see low twenties highway, high teens overall.

But don’t buy it for economy. Buy it if you want that capability combined with great towing power. Few downshifts and no drama. The motor is mighty.

As far as turbos, I’m just not worried. Cars and big trucks have used them for decades. The ecoboost has been out long enough to have bugs worked out.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Quote:

Dodges you can here them drink fuel. If your gonna tow goosencks and 5th wheels they got power, but wow do they suck gas everyone I know who has owned a Dodge only owns 1 and then switches.

maurice

have friends getting rid of the boost account mileage one king cab getting 14 empty however they do pull very well–I have a 5 liter and it runs about 20.6 to9 21.3 at 70 miles per–good luck

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

I was planning to purchase an ecoboost this last spring, have had ford Rangers for my last two trucks and have been very happy with the reliability ( 243,000 on my last one and it still ran like new ).
    I ended up with a Dodge 1500 with the V6 and 8 speed transmission.
    I could not be happier with that decision!
    I am getting 24 mpg ( I drive all highway ) and pull a 1730 Lowe with no problem!
    The more I drive it the more I know for me it was the right choice.
    All I can say is give both a drive and enjoy your choice.
    I also put on a lot of miles and Dodge had the best extended warranty hands down.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I like what I see with the new 2014 Silverado crew cab that now finally has a 6.5 ft box. increased the fuel effiency too. I certainly don’t think the EcoBoost would the wrong decision here. Sounds like 2 correct answers to me.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Dodges you can here them drink fuel. If your gonna tow goosencks and 5th wheels they got power, but wow do they suck gas everyone I know who has owned a Dodge only owns 1 and then switches.

I will try not to cloud up this post with actual facts…

Mileage

abe
    La Crosse

30K on my 2011 150 Ecoboost Super Crew. 15mpg in the City and 19-20 Hwy. If I pull my 1750 Fishhawk back down to 14ish. It replaced my 5.7 Super Crew, which consistently got 12mpg no matter what. Love the Ecoboost, fun to drive, plenty of power to pull. Two friends bought the same after driving in my vehicle.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

I like what I see with the new 2014 Silverado crew cab that now finally has a 6.5 ft box. increased the fuel effiency too. I certainly don’t think the EcoBoost would the wrong decision here. Sounds like 2 correct answers to me.

Would of liked to had that longer box with my 2013 silverado . Just could not pass up all the inc encentives on the 2013s right now over the 14s. About half the lot had 14s in it all ready. Do think you can get that longer box on the 13 f150. I can still get a 7’6″ rod in the bed of my silverado.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Mike, yep you can get the longer box in the 13 F150 ecos. I am looking to get a new truck next fall so I am excited about the 14’s for then. no doubt there are som egreat deals on the 13’s right now. still a great truck. I don’t really think Chevy, Ford, Dodge, toyota really make a bad truck right now.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Mike, yep you can get the longer box in the 13 F150 ecos. I am looking to get a new truck next fall so I am excited about the 14’s for then. no doubt there are som egreat deals on the 13’s right now. still a great truck. I don’t really think Chevy, Ford, Dodge, toyota really make a bad truck right now.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I’ve been a Chevy/GMC person for the past 15 years… Until now I’ve accepted that the 6.5′ box only came on an extended cab (absolutely necessary to have 6.5′ to fit a large Otter sled ) but now that I need to have room for both a car seat & my pup in the backseat I need a full crew cab with forward opening doors… Which is why I’m leaning towards Ford.

I’m also not against Dodge or even a Tundra but I don’t believe they even have the Crew cab/6.5′ box set up that I need.

I took both ’14 Sierra and a ’13 F150 for a spin yesterday and hands down the driving experience (especially for a 6′ 5″ guy) was better for the F150. The sightlines and size/positioning of the mirrors made it feel comfortable where the Chevy hood profile and top of the roof made it feel like I kept having to shift or lean in my seat to see what was happening in tight areas or while backing up. The only negative of the Ford was its box height & truck feeling like it tilts forward a bit really makes for a small field of view directly behind the vehicle.

I guess the perfect scenario would be a new GMC V8 in a Ford but based on price incentives and comfort while driving I’m most like going to go Ford wIth EcoBoost and hope for no issues. Plus at 30+K miles per year it with pay for itself vs the 5.0 in just a year or two. I guess I’ll know in a few years if it holds up for 200k miles

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

RAM 1500 Diesel

These do look interesting.

FDR

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Will,

The Tundra crew cab is huge! Even bigger than the Ford, but you will never be happy with their bed size. Especially if you use a truck for what it is meant for.

FDR

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Interesting G. I will be in the market for a new truck next year, any idea how much more this will cost than the regular 1500?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.