?75 hp on 1700 lund

• joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Hey everyone, Sorry I have not been on lately but I have just been fishing so much this last month I have just not had enough time. On last outing in Canada I managed to rip my brothers door off of his 02 Ford with my boat. I will most likely be trading my 1675 explorer to a new 1700. The question I have is I feel like my 75 Honda pushes my 1675 around 36 mph, Thats not bad but I feel the bigger rig might be light and 75 hp is max for that model(I run tillers) Does anyone out there have this rig and how does it move, are you happy with it?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Max her out if you can joey !!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I agree, if you can go for the 90 as thats a bigger boat and a tiller rating not the top [console] rating. You won’t regret it and if you don’t you will always be thinking ”I should have” as later it will cost you more money. Thanks, Bill

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Thats the same way I feel guys but the max for the 1700 is a 75 hp. I just wonder if Lund rated that models max to small because it took my 75hp Honda to move my last 1675 model. I would hate to have to go on a diet right in the middle of summer those leinies are just too delicious!!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

On last outing in Canada I managed to rip my brothers door off of his 02 Ford with my boat.

I would love to here that story!!!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Yes, I would also like to hear that one. I’m trying to give a best guess, but I’m coming up blank. Trailer get away and roll into it?????

joeyno5
    Rochester MN.

Well this was a series of events that happenned that week. First we waited 2.5 hours to enter Canada, then out of the 3 rigs only 1 got checked which was my brother because he didn’t have birth certificates for his kids. They are taking uncooked potatoes, carrots and onions like mad because the have dirt. Then we stopped to get leeches and when my brotherpulled along side of me he was close enough to barely have his door resting on my boat and my trailer tire was right behind his door. As we loaded he was on the other sideloading his boys and I had a topper full of gear so I didn’t see his door was open so I pulled a forward and started turning to the right and just about completely ripped the door off. Then that night we had the awning ripped completely ripped off the R.V. in a storm. Just when things were looking better my nephews got in a rock fight and 1 got square in the eye and couldn’t see. So to the emergency room we go for a 6 hour Canadian health care experience. The next day the keys were locked in my truck, have a spare freshely cut that did manage to work after I tried going through the window. But my Nephew can see, no one was hurt, Had insurance on boat and trailer and have decided to not go to canada and stay and fish in the best fishery around pool 4-10 and minnesota lakes. Tight lines #5

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

WOW, and to think I was peeved cause the wife did’nt let me get out last night.
    After reading that story perhaps she was doing me a favor

evileye
    Milan Il

Woww! Other than that (Mrs Lincoln ) howd you like the play

HNTNBUX

I have a 1700 Explorer tiller with a 75 Yamaha four stroke. The top speed I’ve been able to get is 43mph by myself and about 40-41mph with two people, full gas tank(27 gallons) and all my gear. The top speed is using the depthfinder but when I’ve checked it with GPS it is within 1-2mph. The 75 is the max rating on the tiller model and I’ve been very happy with it.

wishn2bfishn
    Kansas City, MO

I am curious about your question. I bought a 2004 Lund 1600 Explorer, tiller, with a 50 hp 4 stroke Yamaha (first fishing boat). That is a great boat/motor combination from my limited experience. That model is rated for a 60, while the same boat with a console is rated for a 90. I asked a dealer about weather the difference between a 60 and 50 on my boat would be worth the extra $. He said the difference in performance would not be too significant. I also asked him about putting a larger motor on the model, such as a 75. He said that he would not do that because that would confict with the maximum recommended.

I wonder if a boat with a motor over the max recommended would be in technical violation of your state regs? Likewise, would the larger motor affect the warranty coverage on the boat for transom issues and so forth? Finally, could there be an insurance coverage issue in the event of an accident? What are your thoughts?

By the way, I am used to running camp 17 foot lund outfitters (700+ lbs.) in Canada with 40 Yamahas with 3 people and lots of gear. When we go, its late August and the props are chewed and dinged. Last year they put a governor on the motors because someone had an accident earlier in the season. We were putting around 15-20 mph max. Previously, the 40 moved us pretty well. The 50 on my boat really moves it well with 2 people and gear and full tank. Have yet to try it with 3 people. We will see how it does with 3.

You probably already checked this, but Yamaha has a performance test site for various boat/motor combinations. I found it on google “Yamaha performance” The other responders have more experience than I do. But, for what its worth, I believe you should max out the 1700 with the highest you can within the manufacturer’s rating. Obviously, the 1700 is significantly heavier than a 1600 and it has a larger fuel tank I believe. Good luck.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.