Lead Core

• casey-barton

Lead Core is very new to me, in fact the brand new spool hasnt even been put on a real yet. I got a ten color lead core here and cannot for the life of me under stand why i wouldnt just put 5 colors (50 yds/150 ft)on my real with backing first. Then to a leader at the end as normal.

Anybody else use this theory?? If so for 18 lb test lead core .029 dia. What backing would you use.

Thanks!

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

What kind of leadcore? Sufix 832 or other? I use the 12# 832 which says 7′ per color at 2mph. I run 10 colors because without a kicker I can only run as slow as 2.3-2.5 which means I’m not getting 7′ per color. I assume 5 give or take a little. Now 5 colors only gets me to 25′ which is fine in a lot of cases but if I need more depth it there. Now if you’re not running the 832 leadcore your only getting about 5′ per color at 2mph. Which means if you’re going faster then 2 you’re probably only getting 3 or so feet per color. That’s 15-20′ max probably. This is why I run all 10 colors. I can fit 10 colors of the 832 12# on Daiwa 27’s with backing which I prefer for the smaller reel. Hope this helps.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

What is the deepest you fish?
    What is the lowest speed you can troll?

casey-barton

EyesFishin> Been dropping thousands getting this walleye program going. I have every reason to buy 832, but went with and couple Cabela’s Spools and saved a little bit of cash.

The sink rate of it is 1.25 per 2ft. You bring up a valuable point if I want to troll fast for the bite of the day.

casey-barton

larson3> I forgot all about that trick. Been awhile since I spooled a Fly reel. That will work well. Thanks for the reminder.

casey-barton

I can troll 1 mph, and 40 would prolly be the max maybe in fall. I believe after further thought Ill just spool all ten colors. Thanks for the input fellars!

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

15lb – 20lb ice fishing tip-up line works very well as a backing and is easy to tie knots with and fuse to the leadcore. I run about 3-5yrds of this as backing,5 colors of leadcore, then a barrel swivel, and finally attaching roughly an 8ft leader of fluorocarbon (p-line) to a snap. I almost exclusively troll LC on the St. Croix river for walleye.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.