1993 revisited?

• tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Just an observation, here…’04 seems to be shaking out just about like 1993–the year of the flood. Although river fishing sucks for most of us in the midwest this year, when the storm clouds finally part there may be a silver lining…
    Prior to 1993 walleyes were little more than an infrequent ‘bonus’ species on lower pools of the Mississippi. Flooding in 1993 displaced tremendous numbers of walleyes and other fish southward. Part of the result has been establishment of a good walleye population as far south as St. Louis !
    Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for Minnesota and Wisconsin boundary wars to be put aside long enough for us to give thanks for the possibility that thousands of walleyes may see downstream displacement…
    If the Illynesians, Iowegians and Flatheads have these fish a little closer to home maybe they won’t visit the cool, blue north and our wide, brown, river.
    There will still be plenty of sheepshead for all of us. Drum are great fish ! hard fighters ! good eating !
    I would rather catch sheepshead than have a sister working in a house of ill repute…but would rather have a sister working the red light district than a brother who wore those horns and goofy Viking braids….

“Who’ll Stop the Rain? “…Creedence Clearwater Revival

“Can’t we all just get along?”…Rodney King

“I invented the internet!” …Al Gore

AND NOW FOR THE REAL TRUTH…
    “The surest way to get two fishing rods tangled is to get ’em within 10 feet of each other”

herb
    6ft under

Down here in southern Ia. we were told the conditions were perfect for sauger spawning and better still for high percentage survival rates during the ’93 flood, and that we’d see the results for many years.
    Never did happen.
    I just don’t think we have the needed habitat on pool 18 to provide for a decent walleye and sauger population.
    So I guess I’ll still head to the “cool, blue, north.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

sister working in a house of ill repute.

Ted, is your sister good looking?

I hear what your saying…but we have to stop these tourney guys…yes I’m talking about those damn pest Bass fisherman. They come up here from all over the country to the scenic St Croix river, strip us of all our smallmouths and transplant them down by the nuke plant close to Redwing.
    It’s wrong…just wrong!

Quote:

So I guess I’ll still head to the “cool, blue, north

And your welcome anytime Herb…

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

In total agreement with situation involving arrogant bass tourney fishermen (a.k.a : bassholes). Have a piece coming out in next month’s Wis. Sportsman magazine talking about bass fishing on the Miss…and the impact of tournaments.
    Too bad these guys can’t police themselves. The plural of jerk is jerks. Should I end up in hell and be sentenced to eternal damnation I see it coming in three repetitive phases:
    1. Waiting at the boat launch behind folks taking their sweet time
    2. Waiting in the water at the boat launch while folks take their sweet time getting out
    3.Anchored up in a shady spot catchin’ crappies while an entire fleet of bassholes feel compelled to use my boat as a pylon while travelling at warp speed up the river with their sole consideration moving another notch up the leader board.

Oh, regarding my sister…don’t think she’ll ever work in a house of ill repute. When we were kids I used to take her squirrel hunting. I was too young to carry a gun. When we would see a squirrel I would send her around the tree in an attempt to scare the squirrel my way so I could shoot it with a slingshot.
    Many times the squirrels would see her and just fall out of the tree, dead.
    Came to the conclusion that she was so homely that she simply “uglied” the squirrels to their death.
    When i got older and could carry a gun, sis was older too. The fact that I could now carry a .22 wasn’t the reason I quit taking her along. Truth is when she circled the tree and the squirrels saw her she tore ’em up too much with just a single glance.

…Sure will be nice when we can quit telling stories and get back out on the River!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Back to the river? I was out last night ’till 1:30…mostly watching the weather cause that cat’s weren’t bitting! I thought I would get out today but was hooked by my wife’s honey dew list…(I think I can sneek out in the morning).

Serously, the bass folks that I yakked with on the river were all great guys. I gave ’em a lot of crap about trash fishing and they gave it right back with a smile on there face…

But…with the way our DNR has it’s laws set up …I’m a little surpised that they can transport and release fish from the Croix into the sippi…or even the other way around. But forget about the laws…is that good or bad for the bass (or eye) fishery?

PS…back to your sister, more important than looks…can she fish?

My sister is extreamly good looking..(it’s been said this runs in the family) but she can’s tell a worm from a minnow, thought a lindy rig was some oil derik of the coast… ect. She just can keep a guy…look attract a man’s eye…it’s fishen knowledge that keeps him taking her a long.

Perty deep huh? Them cat’s have to start hitting soon!

herb
    6ft under

Very deep!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.