Pool #4 Adventure

• grampajimh
    Delmar, IA

My friend Gil and I went on a guided trip with James Holst on Pool #4 6/8/04. We didn’t catch any trophy Walleye, but caught lots of fish. We left Evert’s at 7AM. By 9AM we had 2 limits of 15 to 18 inch Walleye on ice plus a nice Northern. We then caught and released a number of fish up to 22 inches. James then started teaching us some techniques that would help us take some larger Walleye.

On Wednesday Gil and I set out to see what we could do on our own. I just got my boat up on plane and the motor abruptly quit. My Alumacraft Navigator has the gas fill in the splash well. When I filled with fuel in Red Wing I forgot to put the cap back on . When we launched the tank filled with water. Steve Vick called West End Sports Center. They got me in right away and took 6 gallon of water out of the tank. We launched again on Thursday and the motor quit again. West End again was waiting to serve me. We completely drained the tank taking another two gallon of water out of the gas. Thursday afternoon we run the motor 26 miles and it run like a new one. Maybe it helps to wash out your tank and motor. My thanks to West end for getting me in and not ripping me off.

I want to thank Steve for all his help with launching and other things he helped me out with. I loved the camping spot next to the river.

Dustin thanks for your help too. Maybe my next trip I will give you some Walleye to eat instead of Northern. I will put the Cajun fish breading recipe on here when I get it rounded up.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

You couldn’t have been around a better bunch of guys if you needed a helping hand Jim. James, Steve, and Dustin are simply the BEST!

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Jim, Thanks for sharing your experience. Sorry to hear of your boat troubles. It sounds like although you got water in the fuel it didn’t dampen your spirits. You had better walleye fishing in one day than many guys have in a week of fishing. Nice job!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Glad I could help Jim. Hopefully next time the weather will shape up for ya. Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.