Trolling Motor problem

• Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

My Trolling Motor took a dump on me today . It has power, but the foot pedal no longer has any control over the unit. The pedal has no resistance up or down. Could’ve I have broken the cable somewhere from the pedal to the unit?? Anyone have this happen to them before? Or do i just have to buy a new trolling motor?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

What kind of trolling motor? Minnekota? they break foot controls all the time, anther great reason to have a Co pilot.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yeah I haven’t had any problems with mine, but I don’t use it much at all, and if I do I use my hand, because I don’t like using my foot . My buddy however does use the foot pedal a lot, and has broke a couple (not just one ), which I found out shortly after I got mine, so I’m careful with mine. Of course that being said I almost never gets used anymore, since I have my co pilot.

I want to think he rebuilt/reworked his some how, so it might not be total junk.

Chitwood46
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Highly likely the end of one of the cables is broken off, They can be replaced. If it is a two cable system,(again likely) I would replace both even if only one is broken.
    Take it apart and look.

herb
    6ft under

Slop, there’s a guy in Harpers Ferry that can fix it for you.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Unless someone has his # already I have his business card somewhere around here, i can shoot it to you on Saturday

rmartin
    United States

Definately a broken cable. You can get parts by phoning the main service center in Mankato. You may also need the cable housing. If the cable slides out easily, you are probably OK with just the cable. Get extras as they do not last forever. Mine last for 3-5 years. My motor is fairly old and no longer has parts, but there are places on the net where you can get old parts (rather expensive I thought).

I wuold use some type of lubricant on the cable while putting it in, I like one that leaves a teflon residue.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/index.asp?st=MN

herb
    6ft under

Good advice. Thanks for the lube tip.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.