rrrrrr…reeeoooowww…whamp…splash

• Dave G
    Rochester, MN

On Thur while I was fishing Lake Pepin there was a large bass tournament going on and many of the bass boats had gone downstream from the lake. From about 1 pm on there was boat after boat making this sound “rrrrrr…reeeoooowww…whamp…splash” as they headed back up the lake.

At the time there were large rolling swells about 3-4 feet high in some parts of the lake. I don’t think these boats are really built for big water as they would be going along at a very high speed with a “rrrrrr” sound, fly off the top of a swell and go completely airborne with exhaust sound “reeeoooowww”, slam into the water with a “whamp” sound, then make a huge splash like Shamo the whale flipping his tail. This went on for over an hour.

I don’t think a suspension seat with 5 feet of travel would even cushion these fishermen from punishment like that. Do these high speed bass boats typically have any kind of suspension in the seats? If not, how do they do to keep from destroying their bodies at high speeds in rough water?

Dave Gulczinski

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’ve yet to see a Bass boat w/ any kind of suspension seats. It’s all in the name of pain. I had a guy darn near throw me out of a Bass boat when he hit a wave wrong. If there wouldn’t have been a steel bar near my seat, my morning would have started out quite wet.

FYI, your sound effects are great!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I saw the same thing on the Croix (and everyone knows there aint no damn bass in the croix).

I think it’s along the same lines as a Rattlen Rap. The more noise and the harder you hit the water the more bass you catch. I’m not sure…

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I made that run up Pepin on Thursday and oh it was sure fun!! I am finally starting to dry out from Wednesday and Thursday.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.