Just sharing a pic……..

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I just wanted to share a quick pic so you all could see one of the many things I saw last week. I was awestruck to stand there and behold it so I thought I’d share.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Amazing, and the pic is amazing, but I somehow think it fails to really sum up what a sight that must really be, I’d love to see something like that in real life someday. Pics are worth a thousand words, I be a sight like that worth a millon.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Awesome pic. What are we looking at?

Gator Hunter

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I’d say some really cool ancient ruins

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Appears to be a Mayan or Aztec (I’d bet Mayan) temple complex in central America. Kewl stuff.

Regards,

Joe

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

These are the Mayan ruins of Tulum (too – loom’) Mexico, located in the Yucatan Peninsula. These were still populated and in use during the 15th century but were covered by the jungle after the Spanish conquest and the Mayans died out from the introduced diseases. They weren’t rediscovered until the 1860’s and is one of 44 known Mayan cities left in ruin. This is right on the coast and centralized along a 6 mile wall marking it’s original civilization and commerce area. Built completely by hand tools, it’s estimated that it took nearly 2000 years to establish. They had no oxen, donkeys, horses, or lamas and they never invented a wheel.

I’ve seen Tulum in pictures but it’s not nearly as popular as Chichan-Itza. If you ever go to Cancun, these ruins are only about an hour from the airport.

Mayans are still all over Mexico but have been heavily swallowed up in Spanish cultures. It’s believed that shorter Mexicans with slanted eyes, similar to Asian decendents, are of Mayan desent and also started by the crossings of the Bering Straight.

rmartin
    United States

Recognized it right away, definately one of the better parts of the Cancun trip along with Chichanitza.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.