Built in transducer.

• Stinkbait

Who out there can tell me the pros and cons of having a built in transducer on their Minnkota Autopilot trolling
    Motor? I need new electronics up front on the casting deck and have not bought the new Minnkota Autopilot
    Yet but will here shortly. Also, what would be a good choice for the Electronics on the deck. I fish mostly
    Largemouth Bass and really just need depth measurements while up in front. I also need new electronics on
    console since I have an old Sitex papergraph which I no longer can find paper for. My boat is a 1981 BassTracker
    III. I am putting on the 55 pound 12 volt Minnkota Autopilot.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I believe the built in transducer advantage is not having to deal with the PIA wiring on your trolling motor’s shaft, I didn’t think you actually paid more for this, but even if you did it’s well worth it’s money. Any cheap depth finder should work for what you want. If you’re switching from a paper graph, the best replacement I’ve heard of is a Vexlar edge, but the are spendy, and offer few options to other models in the same price range, but those who have them, don’t seem to care (from what I’ve gathered). That or I’d suggest to look into a color model if you choose to go a different route, they are much, much easier to see and read. there may even be some people here on the site, that support the site, that might be able to get you a decent price on some different units.

kevinneve
    Devils Lake ND area

Big advantage..no wire to catch on branches, get twisted around. The transducer always points straight down and doesn’t need to be adjusted after a rough run.

I have the Maxxum 74. Cable driven are better built, more dependable and takes more abuse than the auto pilot and power drives.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m a strong supporter of Jolly Wade at Jolly Ann Marine…not because he’s a site sponser, but because he’s a good guy…(terrable fisherman from what I here )

I’ll be posting an experiance that I had with Lowrance Electronics with in the next week or so. But my point here is that I was able to run with a 480 then a 330c (color) and finally a 19c. I’m sold on color…It’s similar to back in the ’70’s…black and white tv’s worked but color make it so much better and you would never go back to B&W after owning color. Same deal here, but color does give you the edge of seeing fish that a b&w will pick up…but you just can’t pick it out.

I doubt that anyone will say after using color that they like greyscale better.

Tom S
    Woodbury MN

Mount on the front of my boat is a Power Drive Trolling motor with the built in transducer and it works great for me. The advantage of not having wires to deal with and a transducer pointing straight down were mentioned above. Here is another andvantage.

I took the transducer from the 320 and mounted it in the back by the kicker motor. With a Johnny Ray mount it only takes seconds to swap the finder from front to back.
    It’s like having two units for the price of one.

As Brian K said…….Check with Wade

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

I have a 1995 17’tracker and I had a 55lb 12V on it and went to a 65lb 24V and noticed a huge difference. Buy as big as you can afford! You can always slow it down. Also with the 24V the charge lasts a much longer time.
    Just my $.02

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Yeah, I believe this too, should’ve bought he 24v 65… I couldn’t think of a way to get 2 batteries in there, until I just cut a little hole in a wall for some wire

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.