Please be carefull and use your head on the water

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

Last night, listening the the radio on my drive home, I heard a hourly news report.

I recognized the name, so I called my best friend.

My best friend told me it was his sister’s – husband’s – brother’s son. The name is Jeffery Sauber.

I don’t have all the details, but I got the gist of it all.

A young man of 25 years died on Cass Lake, I belive it was Sunday evening @ 9:30pm.

Apparently, they were driving very fast and hit a big wave. It threw out all three people out of the boat, when they hit the wave. The driver (who was killed) pulled the steering wheel hard to one side when he was bucked out of the boat. This made the boat do circles. Well, the boat drove over the driver and killed him. His body was recovered yesterday afternoon. From what I understand, he had 2 children, but I could be mistaken.

To top it off:
    His boat was a 20 or 22 foot boston whaler. So, even if you have a big rig, drive with common sense when the weather dictates so.

You have an obligatin to your family (especially children) to respect mother nature.

Walleyes aren’t worth dieing for………..

I’m sure if someone digs up the info, they could post the attachement from the paper. I don’t know how to do that.

But it did happen on Cass lake.

Such a sad story. The other two people in the boat did survive.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Gary…

another unfortunate event….Sad to hear.

Question: Are bigger rigs required to have/use Kill Switches?? Seems like that could’ve saved him??

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I don’t know.

But I do know that he had the “teather” switch on the boat, just not connected.

I guess this rig was quite the boat. It would do 65 mph.

My whole point is this.
    I’ve heard a lot of guys say: “I bought this big rig, because it is safe.” Well, this goes to show you, that mother nature does rule. A 22 foot boston whaler on Cass Lake is a VERY “safe” boat. But, it doesn’t mean you are indestructable.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks Jon for the info.

However, I can’t open the page. Maybe it is just my computer………

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Posted on Wed, Jun. 09, 2004

Angler drowns in northern Minnesota

Divers recovered the body of a missing fisherman from a lake in northern Minnesota on Tuesday.

Jeffrey Sauber, 25, of Farmington was fishing with two other men Sunday when they all fell from the boat into Little Wolf Lake, three miles west of Cass Lake.

The other two men were rescued from the water.

— Associated Press

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks again.

And again, what a sad deal…….

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

It is a sad deal. Happens every year. One reason I don’t fish on the St Croix River in the summer months.

Key fact to the story and many others like it:

Male – Age 25.

Glad I made it though those years alive. Someone was looking out for me.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Key fact to the story and many others like it:

Male – Age 25.

Glad I made it though those years alive. Someone was looking out for me.

Amen to that Jon. I know I made my guardian angel work overtime a lot during those years too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.